Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 foreman 500, that has been crashed a couple times now, and has major steering issues. Entire front end is new, bearings, inner and outer tie rods, all ball joints etc. The machine is very “darty”, and difficult to steer, especially in bumpy terrain. Had it in the shop this week, and they cannot track down the reason for this. The frame appears straight, with multiple points being measured. Rear end has new axle bearings and swing arm bearings. The only thing they could confirm is that when the front suspension compresses, the left tire turns out about 2-3 inches. The right is normal. Not sure if there is a bent A arm on the left side, or if the frame has been tweeked. A arms appear fine. The machine is aligned well now, until I hit a bump, and it wants to rip the bars out of my hands. Any advice would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
X2 on the bent frame.. sometimes it's hard to see where they're bent.. look for flaking paint...learned that from a motorcycle I was rebuilding one time... looked straight till I put new forks on it.. frame was bent at the stem.. looks straight without forks on it... lesson learned... lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The shop suggested swapping out the left side a arms first......would rather that than hear the frames tweeked! Guess I'll strip it down and look for frame damage.

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
I would start looking for frame damage before I start tossing parts at it :).

Reactions: hodge5

·
Registered
270 Posts
How about the shocks, since it acts up when you hit bumps

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not sure it could be the shocks, as when the suspension compresses, the left tire turns out,yet the right side tire goes straight up and down as it's supposed to. I'm going to strip the plastics off it and see if I can see any frame damage, or an angle that's out. Was grasping at straws when the dealer said to try the a arms first, after they spent 6 hours on it........but sounds like it's more! Thanks for all the input!

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
when you say the tire goes out 2 or 3 inches ?, is this from front to back of tire ?, or top to bottom of tire ?. if it's the first ?, this tells me it's your tie rods. if its the later ?, this tells me it's your upper and lower ball joints, wheel bearings, or a-arm bushings :).

·
Registered
160 Posts
when you say the tire goes out 2 or 3 inches ?, is this from front to back of tire ?, or top to bottom of tire ?. if it's the first ?, this tells me it's your tie rods. if its the later ?, this tells me it's your upper and lower ball joints, wheel bearings, or a-arm bushings :).
Exactly: Only ONE wheel goes in/out.
If it's the toe in/out changing it's the tie rod/bell crank area.
If it's caster/camber it's the later.
You are indicating that only one of the front tires goes in/out when it hit's a bump?
You might try raising the front end, both wheels off the ground and do a wiggle test by hand comparing one side to the other and then if ?? try using a floor jack and slowly raise each front wheel one at a time and watching.
2-3 inches is a lot of mis-alignment movement and some slack up/down or in/out should be found with both front wheels off the ground doing a wiggle test. If no slack found must be something bent so take front wheels off and start carefully measuring comparing one side to the other.

Hard to believe good experienced ATV shop could not locate the problem causing only one front wheel to move in/out.

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
Exactly: Only ONE wheel goes in/out.
If it's the toe in/out changing it's the tie rod/bell crank area.
If it's caster/camber it's the later.
You are indicating that only one of the front tires goes in/out when it hit's a bump?
You might try raising the front end, both wheels off the ground and do a wiggle test by hand comparing one side to the other and then if ?? try using a floor jack and slowly raise each front wheel one at a time and watching.
2-3 inches is a lot of mis-alignment movement and some slack up/down or in/out should be found with both front wheels off the ground doing a wiggle test. If no slack found must be something bent so take front wheels off and start carefully measuring comparing one side to the other.

Hard to believe good experienced ATV shop could not locate the problem causing only one front wheel to move in/out.
I agree ^^^ 2 or 3 inches ?, that is a lot of movement in a wheel !!!..lol.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When weight is put on the front rack, the left tire "turns" out 2-3 inches. Top to bottom appears plumb, but it actually turns, and wants to rip the bars out of my hands. when we lift the weight off the quad, it goes in slightly, which would be normal. The bearings, tie rod ends inner and outer, and all four ball joints are fairly new and appear solid. Next I'm going to check the A-arm bushings. It's a mystery to me!!!

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
When weight is put on the front rack, the left tire "turns" out 2-3 inches. Top to bottom appears plumb, but it actually turns, and wants to rip the bars out of my hands. when we lift the weight off the quad, it goes in slightly, which would be normal. The bearings, tie rod ends inner and outer, and all four ball joints are fairly new and appear solid. Next I'm going to check the A-arm bushings. It's a mystery to me!!!
unless the left a-arm is not attached to the frame anymore ?..lol, I don't see how this is posb ???.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm going to try to upload a video late today or tomorrow, perhaps this will shine some light on this mysterious issue.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Just a wild thought to consider. (Other than steering components)

If it's a 4x4, is it possible that only one front wheel is pulling. (or braking)

The direction that it pulls is the front wheel that is receiving the most drive power. You should be able to feel the pull sideways from a dead stop and then some throttle to see if it goes straight ahead or pulls to one side. More throttle the harder it would pull to one side.
Also make sure a brake is not being applied to one wheel for some unknown reason. Wheel bearing allowing brake to be applied to one wheel due to too much slack and loose brake components on one wheel.

???

1 - 14 of 14 Posts