Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 Honda foreman 450 es. Some how the choke pull knob got broke. A whole new cable isn’t much but looks like everything would have to be taken off to get to it to replace. Can the whole part up top be swapped on the existing cable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Seat, tank fenders and tank :)

· Premium Member
38,589 Posts
nope, you need the whole cable.

That’s what I was afraid of. I assume my assumption of everything having to come off was correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
well..depends ?..how good are you at fishing ?..lol. what I mean is..i have routed cables from the bars to where ever they need to go ?..without removing everything. it can be done !. just takes a small hand ( which I have ) and I can start at the top, down through the steering head, reach under from the side that the cable goes through, grab it, poke it through the plastic clamps, and then feed it back. its not a walk in the park ?..but it can be done without removing front fender, gas tank, all of that. just a steady hand, good eye, and a little luck !..lol.

· Premium Member
4,700 Posts
Wildcat, where abouts (county) in TN are you located ?

· Premium Member
2,746 Posts
i tied, taped, a piece of heavy string, to the carburetor end of the cable. when i took the cable out. then i tied, taped the same string to the new cable and used it a a guide, to feed the new cable back through the same way as the old cable came out. i did take off the plastic that goes over the gas tank.

Reactions: retro

· Premium Member
38,589 Posts
If the knob is the only thing broke it can be replaced without changing the cable. Just screw it off and screw a new one on. Honda don't sale the knob separate but you may be able to find a used one cheap.
choke knobs don't screw on or off ?, I have never seen them this way ?. if they did ?, then why does honda not sell just the knobs ?. this is a case for a whole choke cable, buy a new one, be done with it, they are cheap.

· Premium Member
12,712 Posts
Wow , I learned something from this thread , 2000 450ES has a choke knob , where a 2000 450FM/S uses the lever in the head light assembly switch , I guess they done that because of the shift control being in the headlight switch on the ES models -----a new cable is only $7.46 from Partzilla ------ I think I would rather have the knob style , I never use it much anyways , but Honda can keep the ES ----- when the bike is snorkeled all you need to do is cup your hand over the snorkel pipe for choke action

· Premium Member
38,589 Posts
Wow , I learned something from this thread , 2000 450ES has a choke knob , where a 2000 450FM/S uses the lever in the head light assembly switch , I guess they done that because of the shift control being in the headlight switch on the ES models -----a new cable is only $7.46 from Partzilla ------ I think I would rather have the knob style , I never use it much anyways , but Honda can keep the ES ----- when the bike is snorkeled all you need to do is cup your hand over the snorkel pipe for choke action
just looked up the handle bars on both models, and I thought I could see the bracket for the knob style choke cable ?, but it does not show on the fich ?. I could have sworn honda put the choke cable bracket on both model handle bars ?, maybe not ?. but yes, your right, es models use the knob style because of the switches on the left side of bars. I know all manual shifts that I have worked one/own..they all have had the lever style choke cable.

· Premium Member
2,746 Posts
its mounted on the frame under the headlight/ display, on the rt. side, an i had to take off the headlight display, or handlebar, to get to the nut that holds it tight.. it was bout 2 yrs. ago.
maybe it was the nut behind the wheel :grin

· Premium Member
38,589 Posts
its mounted on the frame under the headlight/ display, on the rt. side, an i had to take off the headlight display, or handlebar, to get to the nut that holds it tight.. it was bout 2 yrs. ago.
maybe it was the nut behind the wheel :grin
if I am seeing this right ?, number # 21, head light case bracket, is this what your saying ? ---> https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/atv/2000/trx450s-a-fourtrax-forman-es/headlight . if this is the case ?, then it seems you can use which ever choke cable you want on either model, assuming you get the correct choke cable length ?..lol.

· Premium Member
2,746 Posts
i believe it is so. part of 21 goes up into the headlight. an you can also see the mount part of the choke cable, on that microfiche. though if i looked at another site, the microfiche would be the same i think.
i remember that nut being hard to get too. an think i just undid the handle bar to get to it. i can see the place on part 21 where the choke goes. i'll try to get a camera shot if necessary.
im just a touch liberated at the moment :grin
yep, same microfiche at honda east. seems i didnt have to take the headlight apart, i just had get to the nut at the bottom of choke mount, its been a while.

· Premium Member
2,746 Posts
wildcat; let us know how ya finish up

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.