Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all ,

We have a 2008 500 that had the tick,got worse to the point it was bogging down. I took off the valve cover and this is what I found. I wasn't sure of the cause so I just bought another rocker arm and push rod and put it back together. It ran fine, it still had the tick.We needed it in a hurry for calving season on the farm.. I had the same tick and after about 6 hrs of running we are back to where we were. Obviously I am going to replace the rocker and push rod and now a chain. Do I need to replace the cam as well ?
Thanks

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
37,577 Posts
my question to you is, after seeing your pics ^^ ?, are you 100% sure your adjusting the valves on the CORRECT STROKE ??. yes, start from scratch: new push rods, new rockers, new D.I.D. cam chain, and pull the cam out when you replace the cam chain, see what the cam lobes look like ?, if in doubt ?, replace it !. then make 100% sure your adjusting the valves on the CORRECT stroke !., WARNING !!!!!: you must pull the cam followers out of the top of motor before you pull the cam out of the engine !!!!!!!. if you dont do this ?, your cam followers will drop down into the lower engine, and ruin your day !..lol.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shadtree ,

I am quite certain it was on the correct stroke. That being said I had a guy mention it's probably the cam chain.. I will get back to this project. Also thanks for the heads up on the followers on the cam.

·
Super Moderator
37,577 Posts
Shadtree ,

I am quite certain it was on the correct stroke. That being said I had a guy mention it's probably the cam chain.. I will get back to this project. Also thanks for the heads up on the followers on the cam.
from seeing your push rods ^^^, either it got out of time from a bad cam chain ?, or the valves were not set right ?, meaning you/someone may have set them on the exhaust stroke instead of the compression stroke ?.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts