Honda ATV Forum banner

foreman 4x4 not working

26K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  shadetree 
#1 ·
hey all, i have a 2002 foreman 450 with electronic 4x4. it will not shift into 4wheel drive any more. the 4x4 light was blinking 4 times and then pausing. now it isnt even doing that! the battery is dead but with it running i dont believe that is the problem. any ideas? thanks!

#2 ·
The blinking is an error message.Get a manual and look for the code.

#3 ·
Try charging the battery or putting a new one in it, because I don't think the electric shift models will work right with a low battery. The push button 4 wheel drive may be that way too, because it is controlled by the computer. The computer has to have a certain voltage, before everything works right. If that don't fix it, then you will need a manual to look up the codes. The light blinking 4 times is a code.

Are you sure it's not a 2003? I didn't think they made the push button 4 wheel drive until 2003, but I could be wrong.

#6 ·
Yeah, but doesn't it have a button to work the electric switch?

#5 ·
Glad you figured it out.

#10 ·
try starting it, and putting it in gear ( on a lift of course with all 4 wheels off the ground ) then watch to see if the 4x4 light clears up ?, as fish said, the speed sensors must know that the front drive shaft is turning ?, in order to make the front diff operate.

Reactions: fishfiles
#9 ·
there are two speed sensors , one is $107 and the other no longer available , there are two speed sensors so the diff doesn't engage if the speed is too much to cause damage to the diff , there is a $600 actuator that engages the 4x4 , there is a $180 clutch control unit , and lots of wires in between , look at the manual and count the flashing light code

I would start with figuring out whta code you are throwing , then unplugging every connector in the 4x4 actuator , speed sensor , control unit circuit , check for corrosion , clean and dieletric grease them to start , make sure you have a fully charged battery

if you find you need any of the front diff parts , like the sensors or actuator , I'd sell you a complete diff for $300 plus shipping , comes with 2 sensors and the actuator and the complete front diff and drive shaft , which the front diff is also no longer available as a assembly

#11 ·
there are two speed sensors , one is $107 and the other no longer available , there are two speed sensors so the diff doesn't engage if the speed is too much to cause damage to the diff , there is a $600 actuator that engages the 4x4 , there is a $180 clutch control unit , and lots of wires in between , look at the manual and count the flashing light code

I would start with figuring out whta code you are throwing , then unplugging every connector in the 4x4 actuator , speed sensor , control unit circuit , check for corrosion , clean and dieletric grease them to start , make sure you have a fully charged battery

if you find you need any of the front diff parts , like the sensors or actuator , I'd sell you a complete diff for $300 plus shipping , comes with 2 sensors and the actuator and the complete front diff and drive shaft , which the front diff is also no longer available as a assembly
Would you have some type of photo that would show where each one might be located. I’m not a good mechanic by no means

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.