Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a used Foreman 450S that did not run, cylinder was heavily worn, took .025 to completely clean it up. Rebuilt the top end, bored .050 over, lapped the valves. Got the engine back together... and I have compression. So I tried to start the bike, the carb is flooding really badly and the bike will not start. It will not even try. I do have spark. I checked the float and float valve, the float system is working. I went through and cleaned the main jet, pilot screw etc..... still flooding. I did not check the diaphragm on the top of the carb though. What else is there to ckeck...any ideas? I have gas pouring out of the vent with the one way valve and leaking from else where which I can't pinpoint.

I need help!!!! my wife is going to kill me if I can't get the bike running soon

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Buy a carb rebuild kit.It's probably just worn a little on the float valve.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Yeah, it sounds like something is causing the float to stick open. Check your float and make sure it doesn't have a hole or crack in it and check the needle valve and seat to make sure it's not damaged or to make sure it doesn't have some debris that is blocking it from seating. I would take an air hose and blow through the hole where the needle valve seats. Take your float out and shake it and if you hear gas sloshing around on the inside of it, then you have a hole or crack in the float.

I can't remember if those have an adjustable float or not, but if they do your float might be out of adjustment. Some floats have a little metal tab that you can bend to adjust your float level.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
float is not cracked and is working fine. When the float is all the way up, it lets no gas in, when it is down it lets gas in.

I don't think this one is adjustable...I'll look into the carb rebuild kit...it couldn't hurt

1 - 7 of 7 Posts