Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Premium Member
38,589 Posts
my money says the tang just inside the shifter shaft ( short shaft you use with foot ), has broken off inside the cover. you can get to it from the back. rear cover will need to come off, then you will see it, bottom left rear side after cover is removed. if it's not this ?, then it will be up front behind the front cover is where you need to look :).

· Premium Member
38,589 Posts
what year is your atv ?..we need the full make/model/year !. and most models such as yours is called a trx400fw by the way :). Honda did not use the letter S on the trx400 as far as I know ?, just fw.

· Premium Member
38,589 Posts
Thanks for the info. Had a laptop malfunction so just saw this. Not positive of year but is a foreman s according to decals so trx 450 s? will pull cover and report back. Thanks
Honda did make a trx450s, but this does not mean yours is a trx450s ?, a pic would help us. does it have a large black plastic piece going over the handle bars ?. the trx400 has this, and the trx450s have a bare handle bar. they do call the trx400 a foreman, but they used the letters trx400fw for them :).

· Registered
1,417 Posts
Thanks for the info. Had a laptop malfunction so just saw this. Not positive of year but is a foreman s according to decals so trx 450 s? will pull cover and report back. Thanks
Honda did make a trx450s, but this does not mean yours is a trx450s ?, a pic would help us. does it have a large black plastic piece going over the handle bars ?. the trx400 has this, and the trx450s have a bare handle bar. they do call the trx400 a foreman, but they used the letters trx400fw for them :).
Just an FYI to everyone on the specific model "Foreman S"....my brother has a 1995 or 1996 TRX400FW. It is a Foreman. It is a 400. It's model number is TRX400FW. It is a footshift. And the decal on the tank says.......FOREMAN S

Confusing? kinda

So there you have it. Pretty sure that is why the OP originally called it a Foreman S. They were, for the most part, all identical from 1995 to 2003. Known differences after 1997 were the headlight/gauge pod. See same shift fork for all years of the TRX400FW: 24213-HM7-000 FORK, GEARSHIFT $48.76

· Premium Member
38,589 Posts
Just an FYI to everyone on the specific model "Foreman S"....my brother has a 1995 or 1996 TRX400FW. It is a Foreman. It is a 400. It's model number is TRX400FW. It is a footshift. And the decal on the tank says.......FOREMAN S

Confusing? kinda

So there you have it. Pretty sure that is why the OP originally called it a Foreman S. They were, for the most part, all identical from 1995 to 2003. Known differences after 1997 were the headlight/gauge pod. See same shift fork for all years of the TRX400FW: 24213-HM7-000 FORK, GEARSHIFT $48.76
true..buttttttttttttt..if you look at the sticker on the front frame ?..i'll bet you my last dollar it says trx400fw on it ?!..lol. the tank decals are not what the model is ? at least not always ?. p.s. he did say his sticker was gone I believe ?, no way for him to prove my point ?, but you can look on most trx400fw, and if the sticker is there ?, it will say trx400fw, no where on the sticker on the frame will it say trx400s..i'll bank on this !.

· Premium Member
38,589 Posts
in other words @ttwheelsquad, you can't go by the decal on the tank's side covers ?, you must always go by the sticker on the front of the frame ( if it's there ?..lol ).

· Registered
1,417 Posts
in other words @ttwheelsquad, you can't go by the decal on the tank's side covers ?, you must always go by the sticker on the front of the frame ( if it's there ?..lol ).
Shade, yes, I'm agreeing. I said that my bro's was a TRX400FW. Therefore my brothers, just like the OP's says Foreman S on the tank, you can know that they are in fact TRX400FW. I was connecting the dots that 400cc Foreman S = TRX400FW

And I agree, you can't always trust what the tank sticker says. But the OP seemed sure it was a Foreman, 400cc, and footshift. With that info is all we need to know it's a TRX400FW, as long as OP is right about what he said. Obviously if he can provide more details, that's better.

Reactions: shadetree

· Premium Member
38,589 Posts
Shade, yes, I'm agreeing. I said that my bro's was a TRX400FW. Therefore my brothers, just like the OP's says Foreman S on the tank, you can know that they are in fact TRX400FW. I was connecting the dots that 400cc Foreman S = TRX400FW

And I agree, you can't always trust what the tank sticker says. But the OP seemed sure it was a Foreman, 400cc, and footshift. With that info is all we need to know it's a TRX400FW, as long as OP is right about what he said. Obviously if he can provide more details, that's better.
agreed :).

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well finally got the sled rebuilt now back to the wheeler pulled the motor seemed like the only way to really get to all the things i needed to look at and do a nice clean orderly job. And in the process found id tags so 1999 trx 450 s going to pull back cover today and see whats in there

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Found the shifting problem it was the the shifting sprag under the clutch put motor back in and now wont idle without choke on have rebuilt carb and cleaned 4 times fuel screw set at 2 1/2 turns out and header gets cherry red. Have set valves at .007 lash. Not much hair left from all the rippping! HELP

· Premium Member
38,589 Posts
Did you figure out your motor problem? I have a 98 Foreman with shift problem. Did you find a diagram of manual shift trans and or part number of your "Sprag" ?
please start your own thread, this will make it easier for us to help you. then down load the service manual for your make/year/model :).

· Registered
6 Posts
2003 Foreman ES 400 will not shift out of neutral.

It starts up and purrs like a kitten, so it’s not the angle sensor (which I’ve replaced and has less than 100 hours on it). I’ve kept this running for a horse rescue since 2017, and have done a ton of work on it.

This is the first time it hasn’t wanted to shift since replacing the angle sensor a couple years ago. Is there an inline fuse for the electric shift somewhere?

Normally I’m the only one who works on it but my mom got sick last year, so that’s when this loser took it to work on it and ended up parting it out. I’ve got it reassembled but didn’t see anything amiss near the shifter. It was shifting before this other guy got his hands on it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.