Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok this is just a thought so don't hate....plz

Well I was thinking 2day (and I don't do that alot)...since MOST atv are carbed engines do you think you could add a small electric turbo for added power?? Why I ask this is...on a carbed engine you can self tune the a/f ratio vs. fuel injected you need a computer to tune the a/f ratio. I was wondering this b/c they make small electric turbos that I can see fitting on an atv. I know at this point the engine will need a jet kit to compensate for the added air. Now to keep in mind I’m not looking at using a turbo that is pushing crazy amount of psi. I’m talking about the electric turbos that only push 1-5pis. I think that would be a great power adder. For cheap...no exhaust mani or new intake mani to make this work. It's a small turbo run by an electric motor. Some of them are small enough that I think they can fit inside of the stock air box...you could just have to make a small short ram intake with filter. So what are your guy’s thoughts since you guys eat sleep and breathe atvs.

·
Banned
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Saber f-in pure sex right there!! OMFG dude that is sick as f**k. I want one now that is sexier than a turboed civic! ahhh I think my just came in my pants after watching that vid.
Well at least I know it has been done. But I’m trying to get away from having to mod the whole engine just for the turbo charger. That’s why I was talking about an electric turbo….flip of a switch and she is off. I know there would be some fine tuning that would need to be done but I think it can work. Some of the electric turbos only run about $150-200 that would be a cheap power adder. I have to give that guy mad f-in props for that boosted atv...HONDAS LOVE BOOST!!!!!!!!

·
Banned
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow I just searched ebay and I can get 4 or 5 of them for $150-200. I’m thinking when I do this build I’m gonna buy like 3 of them so of one takes a crap I can just swap it out for a new one.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
A Turbo with an electric motor is something that would work in theory, in practice most of them are a combination of a fan designed to make a pressure rise of a few ounces per square inch with a motor that is way too tiny to more enough air. Many of the ones you see on Ebay are actually blowers designed for other applications, such as marine bilge vents or industrial use. They're designed to move small amounts of air, not force it into an engine under pressure. Most of the ones you see on Ebay are likely to be junk.
Real turbos spin at about 100k. On the diesels that I am used to anything below about 5psi you won't notice. 10psi-15psi is where you start to make power. I have a hard time beleving any electric motor could do that.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
That looks like a fun ride!!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
As RPM and throttle increase the electric fan wouldn't increase in volume. You would have a boost at low RPM and throttle but would have no boost as the machine accelerated. The exhaust or gear driven turbos/blowers increase in volume as exhaust volume or engine RPM increase maintaining boost.

·
Banned
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know the fan won't increase as the rpm's do...This is where the "fine tuning" would come into play. What I was gonna do is take the fan/blower/fake turbo w/e you wanna call it and have it set up on half power for mid throttle and full power for when wide open throttle. I wouldn’t have the fan running @ idle or low throttle. Have it on a switch and I manually kick on. This will prob. be more trial and error but It was an just an idea that I cooked up in my head yesterday

·
Banned
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A Turbo with an electric motor is something that would work in theory, in practice most of them are a combination of a fan designed to make a pressure rise of a few ounces per square inch with a motor that is way too tiny to more enough air. Many of the ones you see on Ebay are actually blowers designed for other applications, such as marine bilge vents or industrial use. They're designed to move small amounts of air, not force it into an engine under pressure. Most of the ones you see on Ebay are likely to be junk.
Real turbos spin at about 100k. On the diesels that I am used to anything below about 5psi you won't notice. 10psi-15psi is where you start to make power. I have a hard time beleving any electric motor could do that.
I’m not trying to make that much more power over stock...Honestly I'm more doing to so the engine will run more efficiently. Just b/c your adding little more air and little more fuel doesn’t always mean your going to be losing mpg in most cases you get better mpg. Take my old turbo civic for instance...I had a 300whp engine and I was getting 30mpg city and 40+ hwy. I also was running a 2.2l vs. the stock 1.6l motor. I also was running 550 injectors too vs. the stock where like 240 or something like that.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I’m not trying to make that much more power over stock...Honestly I'm more doing to so the engine will run more efficiently. Just b/c your adding little more air and little more fuel doesn’t always mean your going to be losing mpg in most cases you get better mpg. Take my old turbo civic for instance...I had a 300whp engine and I was getting 30mpg city and 40+ hwy. I also was running a 2.2l vs. the stock 1.6l motor. I also was running 550 injectors too vs. the stock where like 240 or something like that.
IMO Past a certain rpm you would lose performance the fan would be turning to slow to allow the air to pass freely thus making you lose mpg.

·
Banned
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ahhh that is a very very good point sir.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts