Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy friends,

I've been researching the Sportsman 450HO/570 quads for a few years now. On paper (numbers) and in person they look so appealing. But every time I start reading the forums I get cold feet - like frostbite.

Below I will paste the link to a thread of people who "own and love" their Sportsman 570. It makes me laugh to read it. 9 out of 10 replies to the thread say something like this: "This thing is so fast, and fun to ride. I love it! I've got 90 miles on it now, and I've only replaced X, Y, and Z parts. I couldn't be happier."

This makes me chuckle, because I own a 2016 Honda Rancher 4x4 DCT EPS (TRX420FA2), that I LOVE, and I have made ZERO repairs to it. On top of that, I have put 250 hours and 2,095 HARD miles on it. Yesterday I counted, and there were 6 active threads on the "Active Topics" page of the Polaris ATV Forum about problems with new machines. I came over to the Honda ATV Forum and counted...zero threads on the "Active Topics" page about problems with new machines.

If you have a moment and want to see how proud people are of their finicky 570's, read on...

How many hours/miles on your 570? Any issues? - Polaris ATV Forum

·
Registered
172 Posts
I highly recommend anyone considering a purchase to walk through the service department of each brand of ATV you are considering to buy, the yard part. We have 4 ATV dealers nearby. Two were stuffed with about 300 Polaris quads with a minimum wait for service at 6 weeks; the place was a graveyard of malfunctioning quads. The Honda places sat pretty empty except for scheduled appointments. That told me everything I needed to know. Plus certain handlebar parts on the Polaris are made of plastic, but metal on the Honda.

Reactions: Mwolfe308

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
At least a Polaris would make a great garden ornament, I bet most break before they get out of the driveway :laugh: :laugh:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Love my Honda

I love my 2013 es/esp Foreman. I am at 500 miles and will take to the dealer at 600 (regular visit). Atving is just to much fun. Now for the other stuff and the purpose of this post. Any time I look on Craigslist here in S Arizona I see all manner of quads for sale. All makes all years all conditions. What I NEVER see (at least rarely) are used Honda's. People evidently keep them until the are flower planters and I (very rarely) see a Honda flower planter. Honda's work, that is the bottom line and they last forever.

Yes I read the polaris forum. 6 weeks back log of repairs at a local dealer is miserable. Im sure they offer rock bottom prices as well. :nerd

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I love my 2013 es/esp Foreman. I am at 500 miles and will take to the dealer at 600 (regular visit). Atving is just to much fun. Now for the other stuff and the purpose of this post. Any time I look on Craigslist here in S Arizona I see all manner of quads for sale. All makes all years all conditions. What I NEVER see (at least rarely) are used Honda's. People evidently keep them until the are flower planters and I (very rarely) see a Honda flower planter. Honda's work, that is the bottom line and they last forever.

Yes I read the polaris forum. 6 weeks back log of repairs at a local dealer is miserable. Im sure they offer rock bottom prices as well. :nerd
Howdy my friend in Tucson...I have noticed the same thing! It is hard to find a dang used Honda, and the demand is so high that even an old tired one goes for $3500! My buddy Shane out of Sahuarita just sold his '97 Foreman 400 for $1500...and he had several people wanting to buy it from him. It was completely beat, all original, with 3900 hours on it. It sold immediately, and the family that bought it use it daily and love it now.

Reactions: jameslb

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I own a 2008 Polaris 400 ho (455cc) 2200 miles on it. I had to replace the starter on it 75.00 EBAY everything else is normal maintenance.. I replaced belt at 1100 miles just for the hell of it. Old one is like new yet but now I have a spare.. I haven't been 2 easy on it but haven't beat the crap out of it either.. So with that I will say its been a pretty good bike so far KNOCK ON WOOD!! I wouldn't say Polaris is bad, but do regular maintenance on them, oil changes, grease, and keep them clean after rides so the seals don't get tore up they should be good for trail riding.. I bet 70% of the 4 wheelers up in Wisconsin are Polaris atvs running high speed 35+mph rail road grade trails. I do not see any on the trails broke down either..

·
Registered
324 Posts
I've never owned one, but I've driven a few, and maintain a couple for friends/family. I find them to be overly complex and requiring too much maintenance, compared to my Honda. I know that people love them, and that they get the job done. But, I don't believe that they are the best machine out there. Over priced and over complex.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I recall a Honda dealer stating something to the effect, our service department would not survive if we were waiting on Hondas' to repair. He sold many different brands....

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts

They do last forever, the bottom line is, if you want a brilliant all round ATV there is no option but Honda.
We all say they need more power, an extra gear, bigger tyres etc etc but let's face it, that's what a can-am is, and they don't last forever! Honda have pretty much got the market covered for a great all round ATV.

Reactions: jameslb

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
I've never owned one, but I've driven a few, and maintain a couple for friends/family. I find them to be overly complex and requiring too much maintenance, compared to my Honda. I know that people love them, and that they get the job done. But, I don't believe that they are the best machine out there. Over priced and over complex.
A friend of ours had a Polaris, it was a race (sports) type and I. Relive it was a 525cc. I remember him always moaning that it needed parts and that the parts were ridiculously priced.
He had a nasty crash after a short time owning it (it was ridiculously fast) and sold it not long after.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I own a 2008 Polaris 400 ho (455cc) 2200 miles on it. I had to replace the starter on it 75.00 EBAY everything else is normal maintenance.. I replaced belt at 1100 miles just for the hell of it. Old one is like new yet but now I have a spare.. I haven't been 2 easy on it but haven't beat the crap out of it either.. So with that I will say its been a pretty good bike so far KNOCK ON WOOD!! I wouldn't say Polaris is bad, but do regular maintenance on them, oil changes, grease, and keep them clean after rides so the seals don't get tore up they should be good for trail riding.. I bet 70% of the 4 wheelers up in Wisconsin are Polaris atvs running high speed 35+mph rail road grade trails. I do not see any on the trails broke down either..
That's very good to hear! I spoke with a local ATV mechanic here (Speed Merchants) and he just laughed and said, "Polaris keeps me in business." I also have a brother in law with two Trail Boss 330's that have been good for him, for the most part. Little nuisance things here and there.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
has anyone ever had to fix a ploaris front diff?

What a piece of GARBAGE!

Its full of plastic!

and I like this qoute from that page creed posted up...

Mine is a 2015, so far I have 91 hours and 826 miles. I've put most of the hours on our hunting lease in Georgia. I've had a few issues.

1 replaced the left front axle from a leaky cv boot that caused damage. My fault, hit a stump and tore the boot.
2. Wrapped the exhaust is stopped the heat coming from the engine. It really wasn't that bad in the first place.
3 I had an exhaust leak, it turned out that it was the gasket leaked At the exhaust pipe.
4 broke my thumb throttle after a wreck my fault
5 Belt slipping and replaced at 500 miles. I thought this was little to soon
6 broke my toggle switch for my winch. I think the factory's toggle switch is cheap.
7 I found that the hitch isn't that strong. Bent it pretty bad disking a food plot
8 put on 26" Itp's mud tires. Good investment

I'm pretty hard on my atv. I've broke few things but some things shouldn't have broke. It has hauled out 3 hogs and 2 deer since I've owned it. Where we ride is really wet and ruff terrain. I'm not complaining just venting my experiences. I've owned 7 other atvs and feel this atv has done a good job for what I've put it through. So much that I bought a 2016 570 for my son.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Ya most of them posters on that Polaris forum sound like some real snowflakes. They might be honest but having the low mileage and hours on them and having them post saying their bikes are good is pretty stupid.. All I can say is if your a Polaris owner and take them through the mud ect keep up on the maintenance and address all issues before they become a real headache.. They are pretty cheaply built. Some things the way they design them makes you shake your head.. O ya on my first post I also had to replace the fan sensor on the radiator because it sticks out and can get knocked off by a stick or rock getting flung up.. And when that breaks off the fan wont turn on.. But that is on the 2008 400 ho models.. I am sure its not a problem on the newer full size sportsman..

·
Registered
7,361 Posts
has anyone ever had to fix a ploaris front diff?
Yepper, rebuilding mine now. picked up a severely abused 800S, in 2013 they actually upgraded the diff to a billet Sprague.

well the diff still didn't like the 28 inch terminators, tore it up bad, including the billet Sprague & pinion gear.

Ill have $600 into rebuilding that differential.

I don't mind owning a Polaris, they put a smile on my face when riding, if it breaks, no biggy, when I need to get serious work done, ol' trusty rusty fourtrax 300 comes out to play.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I sure get a kick out of how fired up guys get about brands of ATV's.
I agree. I honestly don't care about brand; I care about facts. That's the reason I am a member of the Polaris forum is to learn more about Polaris ATVs from the people who own them - the church of Polaris, if you will. I quickly realized I wouldn't get great info on the Honda forum about Polaris, and vice versa. :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
I love my 2013 es/esp Foreman. I am at 500 miles and will take to the dealer at 600 (regular visit). Atving is just to much fun. Now for the other stuff and the purpose of this post. Any time I look on Craigslist here in S Arizona I see all manner of quads for sale. All makes all years all conditions. What I NEVER see (at least rarely) are used 9Honda's. People evidently keep them until the are flower planters and I (very rarely) see a Honda flower planter. Honda's work, that is the bottom line and they last forever.

Yes I read the polaris forum. 6 weeks back log of repairs at a local dealer is miserable. Im sure they offer rock bottom prices as well.
Howdy my friend in Tucson...I have noticed the same thing! It is hard to find a dang used Honda, and the demand is so high that even an old tired one goes for $3500! My buddy Shane out of Sahuarita just sold his '97 Foreman 400 for $1500...and he had several people wanting to buy it from him. It was completely beat, all original, with 3900 hours on it. It sold immediately, and the family that bought it use it daily and love it now.
Yup they sure keep good value , up here in Canada a Fourtrax/Rancher 350 is still sold between 2600 to almost 4K if well kept , Foremans a in the 4 to 5K range and im talking about early 2000's models , i put up my Fourtrax 350 to sell at 2750 and i had a lot of guys calling me until i changed my mind and decided to keep it and put some money in it ....ive always preached for Honda when i talk about ATV ...

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
I sure get a kick out of how fired up guys get about brands of ATV's.
I've HAD to work on some of early models...... I wouldn't have one, but I'm a die hard honda fan, I'd like to see any one of there atvs hold up to the abuse honda will take , I'm not knocking people who love them, i planed on purchasing one, YEARS ago and my old boss had a SURE enough fit, told me if i got one, never ever bring it to his shop.....my 2 pennies :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.