Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, recently bought a 1989 trx 125 missing the foot shift lever.... the shift rod doesn't have splines and i cant find a lever without splines online. do i just order a splined one and tack weld it or is there a better solution?

shifter.jpg
shifter2.jpg

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
replace the shifting shaft, do not weld anything to the old shaft !, all you will do is melt the oil seal, then it will leak oil !.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how well do you think a jb weld job would hold up? i was planning to sell the quad off after ripping it around a bit and just don't wanna spend a lot on it... not to mention shipping times have been awfully slow

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
how well do you think a jb weld job would hold up? i was planning to sell the quad off after ripping it around a bit and just don't wanna spend a lot on it... not to mention shipping times have been awfully slow
it wont hold, too much force is needed on that shift shaft. again..if you weld a lever on that busted shaft ?, it will leak oil !. you can not take the oil seal out, weld lever on there, then ya cant get oil seal back on there !..lol. not only this, but it will make it very hard to pull that left side cover off in the future. buy a used shaft, replace it, should find some on ebay ?. may need a side cover gasket to put it all back together ?. a used shaft wont cost that much.

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
please check your vin number, no such atv as your year, least i did not see it on partzilla.com ?.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
damn looks like ill have to get my hands dirty again lol, do you know if there was ever a non-splined shifter made? or did the previous owner just hack something up...

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
damn looks like ill have to get my hands dirty again lol, do you know if there was ever a non-splined shifter made? or did the previous owner just hack something up...
all shafts are splinned, PO just hacked/broke the end off, i linked you a used shaft, its best to grab it !.

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
yeah thats what i was finding too... where is vin located on these hondas?
front, behind bumper, flat metal bracket, has number stamped across it, 17 digits, read left to right, 10th digit, then i can tell you what year it is ? :).

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
was not able to find vin but did go fab up a shift lever just to get it ridding around tomorrow.... drilled a hole through a socket and the shaft then fed a bolt through it.... fingers crossed View attachment 150188 View attachment 150189
i got to give it to ya, you deff thought outside the box !..lmao. maybe it will hold ?, i kinda doubt it...but hey...good luck !!.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i got to give it to ya, you deff thought outside the box !..lmao. maybe it will hold ?, i kinda doubt it...but hey...good luck !!.
haha yeah i really just wanted enough to tow me around the neighborhood for now, taking the case apart to replace the shaft looks spooky to me as its sealed and everything... do you know if there is any special tools needed to do the job right?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i was able to fond the vin right in front of my face duhh.... JHSTE0503FC034029 i tryed plugging it in a couple of online vin de-coders but all turned up blank hopfully you can pull the year at least

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
i was able to fond the vin right in front of my face duhh.... JHSTE0503FC034029 i tryed plugging it in a couple of online vin de-coders but all turned up blank hopfully you can pull the year at least
1985 trx125, here's a cheat sheet for ya !. you count left to right, 10th digit, then look on this chart, shows 1985 :).
IMG_0396.JPG

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
1985 trx125, here's a cheat sheet for ya !. you count left to right, 10th digit, then look on this chart, shows 1985 :).
Awesome! thank you so much for the help!, this is my first time posting on forums tbh i didn't even expect a response. will definitely be using forums for future projects (y)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts