Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 -700-4 that is flashing all the lights on the dash. I trickle charged the battery (unhooked) for a day and a half and hooked it back up, but when I turned the key on, every light on the dash began to flash and nothing happens when I turn the key further. The battery was really dead, could it be alternator issues? There has been a history of the battery needing to be charged about once a month, even though the machine is not driven much. We did have a lot of extra stuff hooked to the battery; winch, lights, wipers, that I have since unhooked. All I have is the owners manual.

·
Premium Member
2,608 Posts
Take your battery to an auto parts store and get it "load tested". This test is much better than a simple voltmeter test.

I predict that they will tell you that your battery is deader than Millard Fillmore.

Then we need to solve why your battery runs down so quickly BEFORE you buy another battery. Otherwise, your bike will destroy your new battery.

Rick

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, battery tested dead and no longer under warranty.
Is there anything I could test before I put the new battery in?
All the dash lights are flashing when I turned the key on with the old one.

·
Super Moderator
1,721 Posts
Pop the new battery in and go from there? I would just leave a battery tender on the new one , when not in use my 2c

·
Premium Member
2,608 Posts
Set your multimeter to measure amps. Then pull fuses one at a time to determine which circuits are your big drains on the battery.

Then fix those problems. Just don't crank your engine with the multimeter set up for this test or the very expensive digital smoke will quickly depart your multimeter.

Rick

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,717 Posts
Baffled, When a battery becomes completely discharged, it is very difficult (and likely impossible) for you to recharge the battery. The worst thing that can happen to a battery is a complete discharge.
If you can't ride often, keep a Battery Tender on the battery. Refrain from using a charger or trickle charger; particularly for more than an hour or so as they can actually damage your battery from overcharging it. A Battery Maintainer keeps a battery charged via an electronic process actually restores a batterys' condition.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts