Honda ATV Forum banner

161 - 171 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2014 Rancher 420 ES will occasionally not upshift while driving around. At first I thought it might be a bad switch or contacts within the mechanism but I'm not sure. I know there is an angle sensor that can throw things off. I'm getting no check engine light and it works the vast majority of the time. I can't seem to reproduce it. The ATV only has about 80 hours on it and has seen little use. Any suggestions on narrowing this down? Clean and dielectric the connections? Replace the up-shift button? Replace the angle sensor?

I should add that when it won't upshift, there's no action whatsoever. It's like I didn't press the button at all. It's not like it tries but fails. I just does nothing when I press the button. After a few moments, if I try again, it will upshift fine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Fish/Retro

The SHAFT reduction gear (round gear) that doesnt have any specific position when i reinstall that correct?

i marked the shift reduction gear (triangular shaped one) where it came off the shaft so im going to put that back on where it was.

Any tricks/tips for putting those components back together once i get this bearing racer out? (i picked up dremel carbide cuter)
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Dremel-Tungsten-Carbide-1-8-in-Cutting-Bit-Accessory/1209475

·
Super Moderator
5,956 Posts
Fish/Retro

The SHAFT reduction gear (round gear) that doesnt have any specific position when i reinstall that correct?
Correct.

i marked the shift reduction gear (triangular shaped one) where it came off the shaft so im going to put that back on where it was.

Any tricks/tips for putting those components back together once i get this bearing racer out? (i picked up dremel carbide cuter)
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Dremel-Tungsten-Carbide-1-8-in-Cutting-Bit-Accessory/1209475
The lower triangle shaped gear only fits one way on the splined shift shaft. It will be centered with the round gear... see the service manual.

Clean everything up good, clean the old grease out of the support bearings then repack them with synthetic grease using a finger to push grease past the metal shields on each bearing until they are each completely full of syn grease.

Inspect each bearing to make sure they are installed squarely in their bores. Crooked bearings are common on ES bikes and they must be corrected.

Coat the gears liberally with syn grease and coat the o-ring type gasket with either syn grease, silicone o-ring grease, or apply a thin coating of RTV gasket maker if this is a mud bike. Tighten the bolts in a criss-cross pattern in 3 steps and don't overtighten them.

Grease the o-ring & line the flat up on the angle sensor with the flat on the shift shaft and snug that down carefully. Don't overtighten it.

Dielectric grease every harness connector pair on the bike.

Disassemble, clean & service the shift motor.

There are links to posts above showing how to do that job.

Feel free to question... take your time, be thorough and have fun with it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Fish/Retro

Correct.

The lower triangle shaped gear only fits one way on the splined shift shaft. It will be centered with the round gear... see the service manual.

Clean everything up good, clean the old grease out of the support bearings then repack them with synthetic grease using a finger to push grease past the metal shields on each bearing until they are each completely full of syn grease.

Inspect each bearing to make sure they are installed squarely in their bores. Crooked bearings are common on ES bikes and they must be corrected.

Coat the gears liberally with syn grease and coat the o-ring type gasket with either syn grease, silicone o-ring grease, or apply a thin coating of RTV gasket maker if this is a mud bike. Tighten the bolts in a criss-cross pattern in 3 steps and don't overtighten them.

Grease the o-ring & line the flat up on the angle sensor with the flat on the shift shaft and snug that down carefully. Don't overtighten it.

Dielectric grease every harness connector pair on the bike.

Disassemble, clean & service the shift motor.

There are links to posts above showing how to do that job.

Feel free to question... take your time, be thorough and have fun with it.
Well... she's all put back together. Hardest part was being patient enough to slowly grind down the bearing racer. Finally i punched through and took a flat head and pried up on the racer and it came out. Cleaned that entire housing out with carb cleaner, dried it. Then started pushing syn grease in the bearing like it was my job. I put on a pair of latex gloves and got a wood paint mixer. Put some grease on it and just kept smooshing it into the bearing shield for a solid 10 mins. Did the same for the rest of the bearing.

re seated all the gears, rtv, dielectric on the connector (brand new shift motor) Went to shift it... wouldn't get into first. I tore it back down rechecked i put the spindle gear in the right location. Then i realized it was jacked up and seated back on an angle. I need to rock it.

So i put it back together, again. put the wheels back on, took it off the stands. Rocked it back and man i dont think i ever heard an ES shift so smooth and quiet.

Glad its done, but it was fun. I may tear down the 250 and do the same lol.

Thanks for all the advice.

·
Premium Member
2,547 Posts
glad the dremel worked, an the carbide cutter.. i have to ask, if ya had the 2-speed, dremel, or one of better class. i got the 2 speed once, by the time i got to using it, it was already out of warranty. only the high speed worked well. it was sold at lowes, but didnt cost much. i think $29-$39, on sale..
sometimes ya get what ya pay for.. :icon_censored:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Buenas tardes amigos!!!Les cuento que solucione el problema, desarme la botonera del lado izquierdo y limpie los contactos con limpia contactos en aerosol, retire hacia atras las gomitas de los 2 pulsadores y lo rocie de con aerosol mientras los pulsaba asi penetraba el producto , luego volvi a armar todo y funciono todo bien.
Gracias por todos los consejos que me dieron, espero le sirva a alguien mas con el mismo problema.

·
Super Moderator
5,956 Posts
{translated) Good afternoon friends! I tell you to solve the problem, disassemble the keypad on the left side and clean the contacts with clean aerosol contacts, remove the rubber bands of the 2 pushbuttons back and spray it with spray while pressing them so it penetrated the product, then reassembled everything and everything worked fine.
Thank you for all the advice you gave me, I hope it serves someone else with the same problem.
Gracias por compartir con nosotros cómo lo arreglaste @pablocuello!

·
Registered
1 Posts
my 01 450 es shift went out a few years back. I have a foot shifter on it which works fine, i use it just for plowing so basically i throw it in second and just stay in that the whole time. I recently put on a brand new shift motor and angle sensor. Same exact thing. I took apart the control buttons and cleaned everything. Still same problem wont shift. anything else I can try ?
thank you for any info.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is an old thread... but I can't thank @kentco enough for this fix... My 2007 Rancher has 2900km on it. When it was cold it would not shift into 3rd, had to let it heat up a bit but after hot it was OK, but stil not as smooth as I wanted. So.. I decided to take apart the casing like Kentco advised.. Removed the old grease, slap some all temp lithium grease in there. Now it can shift to 5th right after being started... Amazing!! Only thing I can recommend is to not take off the allen screws off the shift motor (I had a difficult time putting it back together). In the manual it mentioned to put some gasket sealant around the casing, which I brushed a tiny coat before putting it back together.

161 - 171 of 171 Posts
About this Discussion
170 Replies
53 Participants
Grim_Skunk
Honda ATV Forum
We’re a forum community dedicated to Honda ATV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades and reliability for your Rancher, Foreman, Recon, FourTrax, Pioneer, and more!
Full Forum Listing