Honda ATV Forum banner

181 - 189 of 189 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
So I bought the shift motor and new gears, but now my issue is that there is no power getting to the shift motor. Is there a way I can bypass this to get power to the shift motor?

·
Premium Member
12,621 Posts
Here is a link to some info on Es , there is a link I was looking for you , it is in that section of the link , it is a wiring harness that you install on your ES bike and it by passes and makes it shift

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok I am new to this and just looking for some help.

I recently purchased a 2000 Honda rancher 350 TE and I am having trouble with the shifting of the fourwheeler. When I turn the key on, no codes flash or anything, and you can shift through all gears with fourwheeler off, both up and down. Now when I start the thing and start running through the gears, if I don't give it full throttle and just "putt" through the gears everything is fine, it will shift both up and down. but if I get into fourth gear and throttle wide open, it won't allow me to shift into fifth, or back down into third, I have to turn the fourwheeler off and turn it back on and everything goes back to normal, it is not an intermittent problem, it does this every time. I read on one forum where someone said the angle sensor being bad would cause this, mine wasn't coding bad, but I went ahead and changed it.

The speedometer does not work, and when the wire connectors are plugged together for the speedometer, my gear position doesn't read, but if I unplug the speedometer, the gear position will read correctly.

I know this is a long shot but I am very frustrated and figure it cant hurt but to try and ask others with loads more knowledge then I have on these things..

Thank you all for taking the time to read my thread and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bryce
Bryce did you ever get this sorted out? I'm have a similar problem. I'm thinking it could be a faulty meter unit but wanted to see if you had a remedy first.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I am finally on vacation so I am trying to clean my Electronic shift gears on my 2007 rancher 420 es. It shifted OK before but it could be better so I followed the instructions and I cleaned the old grease out. Well after cleaning I applied the white lithium grease to the gears and reassembled them. After waiting for the gasket maker to set up, I took it for a test run. It was shifting amazing all the way up to 5th gear but when I went to down shift it wouldn't. So I pulled it apart again and looked at a diagram on how the gears go in and I removed a small amount of grease. I tried it again and it still wouldn't. I can hear it trying but it wont down shift. I took the gears out and I can shift the engine fine with the emergency shift leaver. So something is happening in those three gears in that assembly

·
Registered
ct90/vf1100c
15 Posts
So I am finally on vacation so I am trying to clean my Electronic shift gears on my 2007 rancher 420 es. It shifted OK before but it could be better so I followed the instructions and I cleaned the old grease out. Well after cleaning I applied the white lithium grease to the gears and reassembled them. After waiting for the gasket maker to set up, I took it for a test run. It was shifting amazing all the way up to 5th gear but when I went to down shift it wouldn't. So I pulled it apart again and looked at a diagram on how the gears go in and I removed a small amount of grease. I tried it again and it still wouldn't. I can hear it trying but it wont down shift. I took the gears out and I can shift the engine fine with the emergency shift leaver. So something is happening in those three gears in that assembly
Reassemble the gears and try shifting manually.
IF: The engine/transmission shifts normally with the manual shift level, the issue is with the electronic portion.
IF: The engine/transmission DOES NOT shift normally with the manual shift level, Check the gears for correct installation.
The one large gear that looks like a deformed fan has a dot/mark on it. Correct installation of this part is the dot/mark facing you as you put it on. It is possible to put this part on 1 tooth off as it has 70 teeth on the small end that goes on the shift shaft. That is all it would take to keep it from shifting normally.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Reassemble the gears and try shifting manually.
IF: The engine/transmission shifts normally with the manual shift level, the issue is with the electronic portion.
IF: The engine/transmission DOES NOT shift normally with the manual shift level, Check the gears for correct installation.
The one large gear that looks like a deformed fan has a dot/mark on it. Correct installation of this part is the dot/mark facing you as you put it on. It is possible to put this part on 1 tooth off as it has 70 teeth on the small end that goes on the shift shaft. That is all it would take to keep it from shifting normally.
My Rancher does not shift normally manually. The gears you speak of are within the housing the motor is bolted to? I've done everything in the sticky for the electronic side, but seems I cannot shift it manually. The hand shifter does not spring back to center.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Many of us have Electric Shift (ES) models. In fact, Honda sells approximately EIGHT times as many ES models for every foot-shift model sold. The ES models are very reliable. But, because of the number of ES machines that are sold and owned, it sometimes seems that there are more difficulties with ES shifting than with manual shifting. Unfortunately, there has been one problem with ES shifting that has affected many ES owners at one time or another: The problem is that, at times, when you make a shift (up or down) on an ES machine, the shift is not complete. You can hear the shift motor trying to make the shift when you press a shift button <->, but no shift occurs and, at times, you receive a - - - display. The problem occurs even more often when it is cold outside.
Fortunately, the answer/fix to the problem is really very easy! The problem is caused by very heavy, stiff, gummy grease that was installed in the shift motor gears at the factory. Once that grease is removed and replaced with a different grease, you'll be back to shifting normally! So, here's how you replace that grease: Remove the shift motor and gears (all one piece) from the lower front of your engine. There are normally four 10mm bolts that hold it on. Once you have it loose and off, you will see that in the gears, there is some very thick, gummy, stiff grease. Clean out all of that grease. (You can use a solvent such as paint thinner to get it all out). When cleaning the grease out, do be careful not to disturb the position that the gears are in. Once all the old grease is out, replace that grease with a generous amount of ALL-TEMPERATURE, WHITE LITHIUM GREASE. (That grease is available from any auto parts store.) After you've put the new grease in the gears, reassemble the shift motor/gears back onto the engine/transmission. Snug up the 10mm bolts, but don't over-tighten them. You should now be good to go!
-----------
Note.... I have brought both this problem, and this fix, to the attention of Honda Powersports. They have been very responsive to me and have assured me that they will not only let their dealers know of this fix, but that they will revise the grease that they put into future models.
-----------
I hope this helps you! ..........Ride Safely...........Have Fun!
Many of us have Electric Shift (ES) models. In fact, Honda sells approximately EIGHT times as many ES models for every foot-shift model sold. The ES models are very reliable. But, because of the number of ES machines that are sold and owned, it sometimes seems that there are more difficulties with ES shifting than with manual shifting. Unfortunately, there has been one problem with ES shifting that has affected many ES owners at one time or another: The problem is that, at times, when you make a shift (up or down) on an ES machine, the shift is not complete. You can hear the shift motor trying to make the shift when you press a shift button <->, but no shift occurs and, at times, you receive a - - - display. The problem occurs even more often when it is cold outside.
Fortunately, the answer/fix to the problem is really very easy! The problem is caused by very heavy, stiff, gummy grease that was installed in the shift motor gears at the factory. Once that grease is removed and replaced with a different grease, you'll be back to shifting normally! So, here's how you replace that grease: Remove the shift motor and gears (all one piece) from the lower front of your engine. There are normally four 10mm bolts that hold it on. Once you have it loose and off, you will see that in the gears, there is some very thick, gummy, stiff grease. Clean out all of that grease. (You can use a solvent such as paint thinner to get it all out). When cleaning the grease out, do be careful not to disturb the position that the gears are in. Once all the old grease is out, replace that grease with a generous amount of ALL-TEMPERATURE, WHITE LITHIUM GREASE. (That grease is available from any auto parts store.) After you've put the new grease in the gears, reassemble the shift motor/gears back onto the engine/transmission. Snug up the 10mm bolts, but don't over-tighten them. You should now be good to go!
-----------
Note.... I have brought both this problem, and this fix, to the attention of Honda Powersports. They have been very responsive to me and have assured me that they will not only let their dealers know of this fix, but that they will revise the grease that they put into future models.
-----------
I hope this helps you! ..........Ride Safely...........Have Fun!
Hey kent i have an 2002 honda fourtrax 350 es i have took out the shifter motor and clean and re greased the motor it did work for awhile but it has started doing it again now i litterly have to use the tool to shift it all together do u know of any other possable problems it could be i have a new battery so couldint be that either maybe just have to take it apart again and re grease it 😒

181 - 189 of 189 Posts