Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent the last three days at a hunting camp in the Catskill Mountains of New York with lots of opportunities to ride. And, boy, did I put this Rancher through the ringer. Me and a buddy used our machines (he has a Polaris Trail Boss that did surprisingly well for a not-so-heavy duty machine) to climb a small mountain using a trail that hunters use in the fall. There were several fallen trees, some 2+ feet in diameter that the 4x4 Rancher had no problem crawling over. It was almost effortless, as a matter of fact. I couldn't believe it. My Yamaha Kodiak struggled to climb over obstacles, often getting hung up underneath. On the Rancher, once the front wheels climbed over, the rear wheels pushed, and then the front wheels pulled it the rest of the way. My buddy was in awe of not only that my machine was able to accomplish such a feat, but also at the ease of which it was able to.

The last half-mile of the trail is all rocks. Big rocks. Again, no problem getting hung up underneath or climbing over the rocks no matter how big they were.

Heading back to camp, the last 1/4 mile or so is flat, dirt and twisty. I was able to outrun my buddy on his smaller, lighter Polaris in those turns, hitting speeds close to 30 mph on a trail thats no more than six feet wide.

The Rancher is not a fast machine. It could not beat the 330 Polaris automatic by more than a couple of feet in a race.

I know that Honda has been known to be a little stuck in time, and they don't like to change. With this machine, I can see why. It doesn't ride as well as the newer machines, is slower, is less high-tech...and I say GOOD. Honda got the formula right for a decent riding, incredibly maneuverable, and amazing climbing machine and has not changed it much. Simple and dependable.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
thats the feedback us honda owners like to hear :D

sounds like you had a good time and the quad lived up to all your expectations and more.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I was equally impressed with my 420 as I just put it to the test this week end and it did I all I asked and pulled out my buddies polaris 800 3 times, LOL

·
Registered
10 Posts
Should'nt be doing this on a public road, but a neighbour of mine bought a small new car 2 weeks ago, gave him a drag race last week & I was nearly tempted to over take him the bastard was that slow, ok he's minding the car, breaking it in nice & easy. Could'nt believe how I caught him so easy & quickly as I gave him a head start of about 30yds though he hardly reaches 45mph. Very impressed with the performance of this 420FM.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts