Honda ATV Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Got myself a jug of EvapoRust last weekend. Been working on little pieces here and there. Also got the air box and foot pegs off last night.

When I started this project my goal was just to do the minimal work to get it mechanically functioning. But the more I work on it, the nicer I want the final product. So I've officially made the decision to just tear it all the way down, clean it all and put it back together then. Frustrating because I know it means it will take longer. But the end result will be better.

Anyway to make myself feel better here's a pic of the magic of EvapoRust on the front axle castle nut.

sent from Tapatalk

·
Registered
106 Posts
You won't regret putting the time and effort into this project. Want to see the grumpiest adult smile, stick'em on a 70 and turn them loose:yeahbaby01:I've got three and will be getting a fourth next April. I buy everyone I find that's under $500 because you can sell them easily around here. A few pics of my toys.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
You won't regret putting the time and effort into this project. Want to see the grumpiest adult smile, stick'em on a 70 and turn them loose:yeahbaby01:I've got three and will be getting a fourth next April. I buy everyone I find that's under $500 because you can sell them easily around here. A few pics of my toys.
Nice. Noticed your flags. You live a little farther north than me, eh?

sent from Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Bad news friends. I took the exhaust of and this happened....

Honest opinions, do I need to replace the engine or can I make it work? The exhaust pipe still meets up inside and I can still bolt it down so does that work? It was never going to be a showpiece but I want to...you know....run without exploding....

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
36,413 Posts
Bad news friends. I took the exhaust of and this happened....

Honest opinions, do I need to replace the engine or can I make it work? The exhaust pipe still meets up inside and I can still bolt it down so does that work? It was never going to be a showpiece but I want to...you know....run without exploding....

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
if the header pipe stud will thread back in ?, then it will be fine. your main concern is to get the exhaust gasket to seal ?. and this is done by both head studs.

·
Registered
106 Posts
No big deal. It;s a common casting issue with these engines. I'll see if I can get a pic of mine. I think they look the same. As stated before, as long the seating surface for the copper ring gasket is good and your studs work you're golden.

Attachments

·
Registered
500 Posts
Blackout would I need to derust the inside first with something like evaporust? I tried a vinegar rinse inside the tank but that's when I discovered the...spouts...

Should I just duct tape the holes up before I pour it in?

I used apple cider vinegar allowing it to soak a few days and all the rust just poured out. I neutralized it with baking soda and water flush and continued to flush several more times with straight water. Finally, I dried with a heat Gun and coated with the caswells shortly after. On the one or two pin holes I had which were on the bottom of the tank, i used a two part epoxy fuel tank repair from oreillys before I used the caswells. Duct tape would work fine on pinholes as the caswells is thick enough to take care of them on its own.

If using caswells, make sure you do it in a warm spot as it is very thick (like honey)and cold only makes it worse. I did mine in my garage in TX with the doors closed in the middle of summer and it was still hard to work with.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I used apple cider vinegar allowing it to soak a few days and all the rust just poured out. I neutralized it with baking soda and water flush and continued to flush several more times with straight water. Finally, I dried with a heat Gun and coated with the caswells shortly after. On the one or two pin holes I had which were on the bottom of the tank, i used a two part epoxy fuel tank repair from oreillys before I used the caswells. Duct tape would work fine on pinholes as the caswells is thick enough to take care of them on its own.
sounds good. I'll try again with the vinegar after I block up the holes. My problem last time was that the vinegar kept draining out of the holes and wouldn't stay in.

If using caswells, make sure you do it in a warm spot as it is very thick (like honey)and cold only makes it worse. I did mine in my garage in TX with the doors closed in the middle of summer and it was still hard to work with.
Thanks for the heads up. I'm also in the Republic. I'll wait til we're not in the middle of winter to do the tank.

sent from Tapatalk

·
Registered
106 Posts
Any updates handy? Love this build!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Update! (sort of)

I know it's been forever, but my garage was so full of projects that I didn't have room to work on any of my projects 😳

Anyway, I finally got most of that junk cleaned out and started soaking some more pieces in evaporate last night. I'll post more pictures tonight or tomorrow.

Has anybody used the vibratory tumbler from harbor freight? Is it sufficient? How does it compare to say one from RCBS? I'd like to shine up some of these parts.

Thanks for hanging in there gang.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Did some more Evaporust as well as got the rear wheels off and dropped the floor pan (is that what you call it?) yesterday. Epoxied the holes in the gas tank so I'm waiting for the full cure on those. After that I can try another vinegar rinse.

Sent from Tapatalk

21 - 31 of 31 Posts