Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How about your kids, do they ride an ATV? My son is getting 14 and he seems to be ready for his first ATV. What do you think? What age did you start ATVing? Which one he should start with?

·
Premium Member
3,464 Posts
Most ATV manufacturers warn against anyone younger than 16 riding their products. There’s lotsa ways to get kids safely involved in off-highway vehicle usage though.
you can consider teaching them if you want; start them out with something like a Recon. Preride inspection, maintenance, riding rules/traditions can also be taught thru an ASI course

·
Registered
223 Posts
I would find a used 08 - 13 Rancher in 4X4 for a 14 year old. Those are the smaller framed version. They don’t have the full locker 4X4 but being smaller and lighter, they will keep up and not get stuck.

·
Super Moderator
5,015 Posts
I have two step sons who are currently asking for a dirt bike or an ATV...

This Christmas they will get a dirt bike NOT an ATV.
I'm a big believer that you need learn and be confident/compitant on a bike before you enter the world of ATV's. Learning on two wheels is far safer than four, for some of us we all learnt the hard way on 3 wheelers, we all got lucky I think..!!

If your hell bent on an ATV for your boy, get him a 4x4 300 fourtrax. A 250 recon being 2 wheel drive will only encourage him to attempt drifting and donuts, a disaster waiting to happen IMO.

It's your call buddy, all we can do is offer advice and personal opinion.

·
Premium Member
2,676 Posts
are there courses for young riders? it is harder to do donuts with constant 4x4. i hit a stump at night, flipped the 4x4 over, i wasnt going fast, but didnt have time to bail. i couldnt bail it was on a hill, and the same way the 4x4 was turning over. in a split second, i knew enough to lock my legs, so the momentum would carry the 4x4 over. how did i know this?,, through decades of accidents, being thrown by race horses, wrecking cars, and other mishaps.
my friends though, one got pinned under his atv, lucky i was there to pull it off him. mine weighs 680, i'd have to say, his weighs the same, maybe a tad more. the only difference between us, i weighed bout 128', he weighed 180'. how i faired better, was after being thrown, over 160 times, by race horses, the times i wasnt thrown, was because i got better. the 1st 100 times was in 3.5 mts. .. i got some training that made the next, 8 or 9 years better.
this is probably not a good answer, but all i got..

·
Registered
36 Posts
16 year old daughter has a Prairie, she's definitely more laid back than her brother. We wont let him touch our Renegade and even my 700xx I won't let him take out by himself.. and he just turned 18! He's a bit of a klutz

·
Super Moderator
5,015 Posts
The Replies after my post would certainly define my decision that's for sure..!!
Start on two wheels, move to 4 wheels when dirt bike ability is up to scratch. Even then, I'd certainly get a 4 wheeler small and light. Even if it's to small for the rider.

Maybe try... TRX 250 fourtrax (86-89), or smaller still a TRX 125. Both relatively lightweight and low powered. Both 2wd though..

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
I started on a 1972 Honda mini trail 70 2 wheeler at 13 yrs. old. Got a Honda 3 wheeler in 1985 when they came out. I was 26 and got hurt on it badddd due to my fault for being stupid. My buddies have kids 5 years old riding 90 4wheelers. Depends on the kid. I think 13 is about right. And buy something he can grow into If you buy small he will out grow it quick. I think the Honda 250 recon is a good choice at 12-13 years old.

·
Premium Member
2,676 Posts
how to land, comes from landing badly in a way, and learning how to land. it comes with experience, repetition, and gets to be a reflex. you dont think about it as much as you react to it. some sports teach this. in high school, something like wrestling helps. 18 though, judo, jujitsu. its hard to teach timing, and reflex.
depends on the skill set, self discipline, also, what to buy. i liked the adrenaline rush, still do.. :)
@fish; Was it as bad as forgetting, you had cut logs in a field, but a couple days later, coming to the crest of of a hill, and the sun was in your eyes, when ya hit the field, hit 20,and there were logs there? Y/N
i got plenty of stupid, stuff on me, to tell, and have told some if it..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How about your kids, do they ride an ATV? My son is getting 14 and he seems to be ready for his first ATV. What do you think? What age did you start ATVing? Which one he should start with?
Thanks everybody to join this conversation, now I'd like to share my opinion. So I've been looking for a gas ATV which both my wife and son would like and it was not so hard as we expected. After reading dozens of forums and posts like this one (a pretty good one detailed review) https://www.kidsatvsale.com/kids-gas-powered-atvs/ we decided to buy an Ice Bear (because of Spider Man design :sneaky:) with thick tires that looks like a real ATV. Now my wife is happy, my son is happy, that's the main point. The ATV is solid, it comes with remote kill switch so I can control the ATV from the distance (and my son won't know about it).

·
Super Moderator
36,569 Posts
I dont have kids, but if I did, and younger than 16, he/she would NOT be on any atv bigger than the trx250 recon. anything bigger than this is asking for a trip to the hospital.

·
Premium Member
1,089 Posts
Disposable is the word that comes to mind when Tao comes to mind , good luck with that ....
Yeah those are absolute garbage. I mean just look at it and then look at any other major brand, smh.

At the OP at the age your son is now. You should look at a 420 Honda, or similar. That way he wont out grow it in a couple years. My youngest kids have been riding since they were 2 yrs old. There now 11 almost 12. My older 2 boys ride my other 700xx. The little ones started out on a 50cc Polaris predator. Best ATV I ever purchased. It came with removable footwell risers, for once they got bigger. Front and rear kill switches. Adjustable thumb throttle. And removable rev limiter. Right now saving it for the grandchildren. Quad still runs and looks good. I 1st bought it when my 17 yr old was like 5 or so. Got kids, get quads!

Sent from my kitchen table using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,676 Posts
looks like a real ATV:
that might come back, and bite ya, in ways, unexpected.. when he rides with friends, an they ride real ones. it will get rough.. from your sons standpoint..
kids can be cruel, teenagers are crazy, no point talking about adults, if ya read any history...

·
Super Moderator
36,569 Posts
Yeah those are absolute garbage. I mean just look at it and then look at any other major brand, smh.

At the OP at the age your son is now. You should look at a 420 Honda, or similar. That way he wont out grow it in a couple years. My youngest kids have been riding since they were 2 yrs old. There now 11 almost 12. My older 2 boys ride my other 700xx. The little ones started out on a 50cc Polaris predator. Best ATV I ever purchased. It came with removable footwell risers, for once they got bigger. Front and rear kill switches. Adjustable thumb throttle. And removable rev limiter. Right now saving it for the grandchildren. Quad still runs and looks good. I 1st bought it when my 17 yr old was like 5 or so. Got kids, get quads!

Sent from my kitchen table using Tapatalk

I have to disagree here. no kid under 16 should be anywhere near a trx420. thats begging for trouble. then again, I dont have kids to worry about, but still..i am pretty sure honda knew what they were doing when they put that sticker on all their atvs that read '' no one under 16 should be allowed on this atv ''. maybe I am just smarter in my old age eh ?!..lol.

·
Premium Member
3,464 Posts
My Dad put me on a motorcycle when i was 11, so he read me pretty well. I didn’t get crazy and he didn’t follow me around to see where or how i rode. Every personality is different in my case, my Dad “kept me alive until i was old enough to move out of the house” (his words lol). Job done.

so I’m glad you bought an ATV for him and will be there to teach him and watch over him. But you didn’t say what experience YOU had or if you had ATV—maybe i missed that.
So I would highly highly recommend you take an ASI course so you are “qualified” in your role as mentor and instructor.

then you two can learn about maintaining the TaoTao and that will be memorable for you both. And as he grows out of it you’ll get another project

·
Registered
223 Posts
Up North where we ride, you need a 4X4 to go anywhere. The smaller Rancher was the cat’s meow for teenagers. Why Honda quit making a smaller framed 4X4 is beyond me...I won’t buy any of the Chinese junk myself.

·
Premium Member
1,089 Posts
I have to disagree here. no kid under 16 should be anywhere near a trx420. thats begging for trouble. then again, I dont have kids to worry about, but still..i am pretty sure honda knew what they were doing when they put that sticker on all their atvs that read '' no one under 16 should be allowed on this atv ''. maybe I am just smarter in my old age eh ?!..lol.
Honda put the same warning lable on the trx250 as my trx700xx! And yet the rider weight for the 250 is like 130 more lbs than the 700xx? If you think Honda knows best that's your opinion. But no way I'd put the same kid on a trx250 I would on a 700xx!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts