Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a 2007 Rancher and it looks like the lady never cleaned the radiator. Is there a product that would aid me in breaking up the dirt? I'm going to hit it with a hose but looking for a little help in addition to the garden hose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
It doesn't look greasy, so I'd soak it down with soapy water and hose it out carefully. Maybe hit it with some compressed air too. Just don't bend or break the fragile core separators by using too much pressure. If its still dirty after that you can use some mineral spirits or some alcohol to loosen up the grime and wash it with soapy water again. Doesn't look like much grime on there to me, just some cottonwood and dandelion or whatever flies around in the air in your area matted all over it...?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Years of dust and moisture accumulating on it and not ever being cleaned. Think denatured alcohol might do a good job also, along with soap and water?

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
I'd stick with soapy water and a water hose/compressed air rinse the first try. Soapy water is less invasive... less likely to loosen the paint.

·
Registered
194 Posts
buy some foaming coil cleaner for use on air conditioning units... works great for me I used it on a radiator at least that bad and one applocation made a huge difference and the second one it looked basically like new.

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Wait until the wife has gone shopping and put it in the dishwasher ;-)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
buy some foaming coil cleaner for use on air conditioning units... works great for me I used it on a radiator at least that bad and one applocation made a huge difference and the second one it looked basically like new.

Used some today but this stuff is basically cooked into the coils and it didn't work, BUT I also don't have water where I keep the bike stored so I'm going to try again when I get the bike where I can hit it with water

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
I've used that to clean equipment radiators and ac condensers, works great! The dishwasher ? I reckon if they do damage to dryed caked on food, should work great on dryed caked on mud and crud.....

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
The dishwasher does actually work, I remember my cousin bunging an intercooler in his mothers dishwasher some years back. Got all the oily residue and gunk out of the fins very well without folding the fins like a jet wash would do.

Remember to put the dishwasher on a cycle afterwards though, the muddy cutlery may lead to a suspicious wife!!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
About an hour of degreaser, condenser cleaner and a good stream of water cleaned it up pretty good but still needs a little more work.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Remember to put the dishwasher on a cycle afterwards though, the muddy cutlery may lead to a suspicious wife!!
@SamUK you might not want the future better half see this ........lol :grin

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
@SamUK you might not want the future better half see this ........lol :grin
It's a good job all of our ATV's are air cooled at the minute :laugh:

Reactions: _Wilson_

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Simple green, etc., along with soap/water will get it looking like new. Do avoid any temptation of a "pressure washer" because that will bend over the light weight fins.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts