Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im rebuilding my 2000 rancher as some know and i have just got it running. i have had it pretty warm and the fan has not turned on yet. what are some things to check or possibly need to make it work?

·
Super Moderator
38,073 Posts
check your fuses..power to fan ?...bad oil temp sensor not turning fan on ?.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
After you check your fuses, remove the wire from the oil temp sensor and ground it to the frame or engine and turn the key on. Does the fan come on? If so your sensor is bad. If not your fan motor may be bad. You can also install a toggle switch so that you can control the operation of the fan anytime you want.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I would check for proper operation as suggested but wouldn't be surprised if everything checks out ok. I was concerned about my 01 Rancher when I first bought it because all my riding buddie's Rincons and Foremans would kick the fans on while mine didn't. Everything checked out fine on the Rancher and I only recall hearing the fan run once in an entire summer of riding at least twice per week.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
With the key on, unplug the wire from the oil temp sensor and temporarily ground it and the fan should come on. If it doesn't, either your fan motor is bad or the ICM is bad or your fan fuse is blown. A lot of times, it will be the ICM. Most of the 350 Ranchers that I've worked on that have had top end problems, have had melted pistons. And usually when they have melted pistons, I find that the fan doesn't kick on and this is why the piston melts. In normal operation, the fan gets power to it all the time when the key is on, but it doesn't run until the ICM grounds the circuit. Sometimes, instead of replacing the ICM, the owner will just opt to wire the fan up where it runs all the time when the key is on. If you want to go that route, just find the green (ground) wire going into the fan motor and splice another wire into it and ground it to the frame or one of the fan mounting bolts. But before you do this, don't forget to check your fan fuse. If it still doesn't work when you wire it up like that, your fan motor is probably bad. Just remember the blue wire going to the fan is the hot wire and the green wire is the ground.

·
Premium Member
11,311 Posts
Also bear in mind that if you go with the full time fan running route that it will be placing an additional load on the charging system as it will have to work harder to keep the battery charged as well as supply the power that the fan is using any time that the key switch is in the on position,plus the fans life will be shortened due to it running all the time...Also,when the temps outside aren't high,the fan will have to be disconnected in order for the engine to make enough heat to heat the oil up to where it will flow freely...:icon_ devil:

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Personally I would fix what is wrong and have it work as it was intended,but I am just like that.I figure keep it as designed.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
I would rather have it fixed like it's supposed to be, too, but some people don't want to pay the $200 for the ICM. LOL.

·
Registered
3 Posts
With the key on, unplug the wire from the oil temp sensor and temporarily ground it and the fan should come on. If it doesn't, either your fan motor is bad or the ICM is bad or your fan fuse is blown. A lot of times, it will be the ICM. Most of the 350 Ranchers that I've worked on that have had top end problems, have had melted pistons. And usually when they have melted pistons, I find that the fan doesn't kick on and this is why the piston melts. In normal operation, the fan gets power to it all the time when the key is on, but it doesn't run until the ICM grounds the circuit. Sometimes, instead of replacing the ICM, the owner will just opt to wire the fan up where it runs all the time when the key is on. If you want to go that route, just find the green (ground) wire going into the fan motor and splice another wire into it and ground it to the frame or one of the fan mounting bolts. But before you do this, don't forget to check your fan fuse. If it still doesn't work when you wire it up like that, your fan motor is probably bad. Just remember the blue wire going to the fan is the hot wire and the green wire is the ground.
I have a 2006 350 ranger. Fan is good. Pulled wire off of sensor and fan came on. Replaced sensor and fan still wont come on unless I ground sensor wire. Anything I might have missed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2006 350 ranger. Fan is good. Pulled wire off of sensor and fan came on. Replaced sensor and fan still wont come on unless I ground sensor wire. Anything I might have missed.
The fan comes when I ground sensor wire. Replaced sensor and still won’t come on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts