Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two 2006 TRX400FGAs, one of which has a brand new winch installed. When using the winch the other day, it would not work with the bike running. I turned off the bike, and the winch would work until it really started to bear down, at which point the winch almost died, and then the starter motor started to turn over. I obviously stopped using the winch and disconnected it.

Shortly afterwards, the ESP light began to flash 5 times, and the bike went into limp mode in reverse, but would drive forward.

I read on the forum about this error code being the ECU or the angle sensor. However, when the bike is running I can hear the shift control motor making a crunching sound, and when I put it a finger on it, I can feel it running really rough.

I suspect the shift control motor is bad, but with the other wonky electrical things going on, I don't want to buy a new shift control motor if it is actually something in the electrical system that fried the motor.

I also read on the forum where user 'Chicagoland Bass' had the same code, and it turned out to be his voltage regulator.

Could the voltage regulator have fried and burnt out my shift control motor? Is there some testing I should do (and how do I do it) before I purchase a new shift control motor?

I don't want to start buying parts only to fry them on install.

Thanks, all.

· Premium Member
5,960 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Everything on the bike is OEM, except for the winch.

I just noticed the positive cable of the winch was connected to the terminal of the starter relay switch, and not the battery terminal. Likely explains why the starter was firing when the winch was activated. Bike starts okay, so at least that wasn't fried.

I will try the testing procedures from the manual, and see what is up.

Thanks, Retro.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.