Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was on my rancher es today and i was going down hill down my road in 5th gear i need to come to a stop to turn around so i down shifted in to 4th, then a little later i downshifted in to 3rd then 2nd then 1st. well, when down shifting, i didnt notice any slowing down (it was like it was in nuetral), so i pressed to brakes to stop. i was going about 5 mph so i hit the throttle a bit to keep going, then, when it pressed it, it kicked into 1 first gear like it was suppose to be in. is this suppose to do this? what is the problem?

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
i was on my rancher es today and i was going down hill down my road in 5th gear i need to come to a stop to turn around so i down shifted in to 4th, then a little later i downshifted in to 3rd then 2nd then 1st. well, when down shifting, i didnt notice any slowing down (it was like it was in nuetral), so i pressed to brakes to stop. i was going about 5 mph so i hit the throttle a bit to keep going, then, when it pressed it, it kicked into 1 first gear like it was suppose to be in. is this suppose to do this? what is the problem?
Your one-way clutch bearing is going out.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
how hard is that to replace? how expensive

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
It's not too hard to replace. You have to take the clutch cover off and unbolt the centrifugal clutch and it's inside the centrifugal clutch. At my local Honda dealer the bearing is $117.40, but you might find it a little cheaper somewhere else.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
#30 in the diagram below is the part you need, the one-way clutch bearing.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
is this the only thing that could cuase this? could it of been that i was trying to downshift while going too fast? what will happen if i dont replace the bearing?

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
is this the only thing that could cuase this? could it of been that i was trying to downshift while going too fast? what will happen if i dont replace the bearing?
I'm pretty sure that's the problem. The one-way clutch bearing is what allows you to have engine braking when coasting or going downhill. You will be coasting or going downhill and all of a sudden, it will feel like the ATV just goes into neutral. Anytime it does this, you can bump the throttle and it will catch and hold back. Eventually, it will get worse and bumping the throttle won't make it catch. It won't hurt the ATV to drive it, but you just want have engine braking.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok thanks, once again, you answer all my questions =D

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
would you replace it?

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok, well, ill wait to it gets worse, then possibly replace it.

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
ok, well, ill wait to it gets worse, then possibly replace it.
cost wise..i would do it now..if you don't..you may wind up having to replace your clutch disk also...if the one way clutch goes out all the way..your clutch disk will have to take up the engine braking slack..which in turn..puts more wear on them..your call..pay now..or pay alot later.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
really, i heard it wont do any damage

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
really, i heard it wont do any damage
it may..or may not..hard to say..if it were me..i would replace it now ( i take to much pride in my ride i guess )..lol..i have been down the chain reaction road before a few times..and when it happends..it bites hard !..lol.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ya, i dont know. i need to ride it a bit more to truly see of its doing it. it doesnt always do it so im not sure. yesterday it was downshifting fine

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
ya, i dont know. i need to ride it a bit more to truly see of its doing it. it doesnt always do it so im not sure. yesterday it was downshifting fine
When they first start going bad, it will do it intermittently like that. It will eventually get worse and start doing it all the time.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
will it do any more damage in the long run?

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
will it do any more damage in the long run?
I don't think so. I've seen them ridden for a long time after the bearing went out and it didn't cause any other problems, just no engine braking.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok, thanks

1 - 19 of 19 Posts