Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am still chasing the problem of my 300 not revving up all the way. We hooked a timing light to it and the spark was erratic, and wasn't a very continuous pattern, and at higher throttle levels, the light would go off for as much 1/4 of a second. We started eliminating variables by changing the plug, coil, and cdi box. This helped nothing. Any ideas?

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know if the flywheel bolt is loose, I torqued the bolt to 80-foot lbs, (which is the spec in the book). And my cdi is the original from 1993. I swapped the original cdi box off my dad's 1991, and it was the same thing.

Premium Member
You鈥檒l want to get into the service manual and diagnostics.
Using the timing light you鈥檝e noticed a possible problem with timing. Three components affect timing鈥攆lywheel CDI and pulse generator. The pulse generator generates signals from the flywheel position and the CDI and coil help to transmit and amplify those signals

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I forgot to mention that we tested the pulse generator with a voltmeter. The highest number for the spec was 360 ohms. Mine was 359.8, so right in there. Cloud I've possibly messes something up flywheel related during reassembly from the rebuild?

Premium Member
Did you reinstall the Woodruff Key aligning the flywheel to the crankshaft?
Also possibly you cracked the key upon installing the flywheel
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Font Automotive design Recipe

White Motor vehicle Font Auto part Engineering

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I installed the woodruff key, and idk if it was cracked, I didn't notice. I bought a new pulse generator, and we'll see if that fixes it. I did a compression test, and only about 165. This really makes me mad, because I just did a rebuild, and it's not even spec. So, could this be part of my issue? I'm running out of things to try.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts