Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 300 ex and just above slow idle it begins to make a taping noise. The sound seems a little louder when it warms up. I was wondering if it was a knock or maybe a valve. I know its kind of hard to tell from a description but maybe i could post an audio or video but not sure how to on this site.

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
PRobably the valves need to be adjusted would be my guess. if its a pinging sound its the vallves a knock would be obvious.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright thats what i had in mind. Could you give me some advise on how to do it ive never done this before. Im pretty mechanically inclined so i think i should be able to do it and i dont have money to get it fixed so... Thanks trx2five0 and tommgodd you guys are a big help i appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Spring for a service manual, and then you might need some basic tools that will be listed in the manual, and it should walk you through it step by step for your model.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Someone contributed cuts from what appears to be the H manual here on this forum.
Possibly per your request.
Careful & don't get the valve gaps too tight. For this adjustment it is better to error on the loose side.(Actually no error is best!!)

jvo

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
Well once the engine turns over a few times the Valves will ding the piston and put the indentions in so the tight valves will work...lol JK... jodie is correct if they are too tight you risk my comment happening If your unsure about the valve ajustment process it's best that you let someone that's done it before (more than once) do it.

Someone contributed cuts from what appears to be the H manual here on this forum.
Possibly per your request.
Careful & don't get the valve gaps too tight. For this adjustment it is better to error on the loose side.(Actually no error is best!!)

jvo

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Be careful when adj valves don't want bent valves or a busted piston, get a manual.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts