Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2007 Rancher 420 4X4 fuel injected that is cutting off while running. It happens at different times; sometimes while running all out sometimes when first starting off in first. I happens when engine is hot and it happens when the engine is cold. It has not happened to me at idle. I'm guessing that its the theromstat; am I right???

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
Easy way to test the thermostat is to remove it and drop it in some boiling water. It should open instantly.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Thermostat usually just restricts the flow of water to allow the engine to heat up quickly and maintain an ideal operating temperature. You said it does it when it's cold...does the overheat light come on when it is cold? I'd say it is the temp sensor...or a shorted sensor wire.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not usually; yesterday I would start going in 1st and when I would shift to second it would stall out and I'd have to start it again. It did that like 5 times then I rode around hard for about 20 mins before it started stalling again. Then it would get to 3rd and sometimes fourth before stalling again, but it just continued to do that for 5 or 6 times. Then it brought me all the way home without stalling again.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Not usually; yesterday I would start going in 1st and when I would shift to second it would stall out and I'd have to start it again. It did that like 5 times then I rode around hard for about 20 mins before it started stalling again. Then it would get to 3rd and sometimes fourth before stalling again, but it just continued to do that for 5 or 6 times. Then it brought me all the way home without stalling again.
How many miles are on it?When stalling does it pop or just go flat?

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
Fuel Contamination...... this is a fuel injected quad right? I'd say you might want to invest in a new fuel filter and a can of seafoam.

That or you are loosing signal somewhere. try checking all your connection while idling (wiggle test). How much water have you been going through?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I havent been through any water in probably 6 months, but the bike has been sitting outside since I moved 6 months ago, before that it always got washed and went in the garage.

Come to think of it this did start happening after the last fill up, but I probably ran it 30 or so miles before it started this.

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
Sounds like water to me Bro. get yourself a bottle of Heat Napa sells it. it works really well for dispersing water in any type of fuel.

I havent been through any water in probably 6 months, but the bike has been sitting outside since I moved 6 months ago, before that it always got washed and went in the garage.

Come to think of it this did start happening after the last fill up, but I probably ran it 30 or so miles before it started this.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Oooooookk I take that back... I see in the title the temp light is on?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
6 Participants
Saber6
Honda ATV Forum
We’re a forum community dedicated to Honda ATV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades and reliability for your Rancher, Foreman, Recon, FourTrax, Pioneer, and more!
Full Forum Listing