Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an 88 Fourtrax Foreman 350. Sometimes when I run it the engine sputters and dies. I turn off the ignition and turn it back on and it runs fine. I have replaced the fuel pump and filter and pump relay. I'm wondering if it's the C.DII.? Any thoughts? Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've got an 88 Fourtrax Foreman 350. Sometimes when I run it the engine sputters and dies. I turn off the ignition and turn it back on and it runs fine. I have replaced the fuel pump and filter and pump relay. I'm wondering if it's the C.DII.? Any thoughts? Thanks.
If you get a factory service manual, and a multimeter, it should show you how to test the CDI box. It's easier to do that, than to throw random parts at if.

Try spraying starting fluid into the intake, if your able to keep it running with starting fluid, then it is most likely a fuel delivery issue. If not, then it's probably an electrical problem.

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Download the service manual from the link in my signature block below— TRX350 Foreman.

Honestly the members at atvhonda.com know these quads like nobody else, but I’ll give you a couple of things to try.
Does your battery pass a load test? These things need a great battery.
Change the spark plug; if plug is cracked it may fail when hot.
How’s the plug look? Sooty? Maybe your choke valve is worn.
. It could be CDI but you said it runs fine after you restart it. I’m not inclined to think it’s the CDI

if you have to, only spray a little!!! starting fluid in the carb when cranking.

it could be fuel delivery problem so do the fuel flow test in the manual.

if you need parts, use the oem parts finder at Rocky Mountain atv and Partzilla

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Download the service manual from the link in my signature block below— TRX350 Foreman.

Honestly the members at atvhonda.com know these quads like nobody else, but I’ll give you a couple of things to try.
Does your battery pass a load test? These things need a great battery.
Change the spark plug; if plug is cracked it may fail when hot.
How’s the plug look? Sooty? Maybe your choke valve is worn.
. It could be CDI but you said it runs fine after you restart it. I’m not inclined to think it’s the CDI

if you have to, only spray a little!!! starting fluid in the carb when cranking.

it could be fuel delivery problem so do the fuel flow test in the manual.

if you need parts, use the oem parts finder at Rocky Mountain atv and Partzilla
I'll try the test procedure...when it starts to die, you just turn the ignition switch off and immediately back on and all's good. Leading me to think electrical. I don't think fuel is the issue as it doesn't do it all the time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you get a factory service manual, and a multimeter, it should show you how to test the CDI box. It's easier to do that, than to throw random parts at if.

Try spraying starting fluid into the intake, if your able to keep it running with starting fluid, then it is most likely a fuel delivery issue. If not, then it's probably an electrical problem.
I'm not sure it's fuel related as it is an intermittent problem...I'll try the test procedure, thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So now the burning question...when looking at the service manual to verify the testing procedure, it has a procedure for a Fourtrax, a Foreman, and after 87. My bike says both Fourtrax and Foreman, yet the ID plate says 1988 TRX350D. So which is which?

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Fourtrax TRX350A 86-87
Foreman TRX350D 1987
Foreman TRX350D Revolution Research Line 1988-1993

sounds like you have the ‘after 1987.’

definitely go to atvhonda.com they know these quads. I would clean the CDI contacts with contact cleaner and lightly dress with permatex dielectric grease

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fourtrax TRX350A 86-87
Foreman TRX350D 1987
Foreman TRX350D Revolution Research Line 1988-1993

sounds like you have the ‘after 1987.’

definitely go to atvhonda.com they know these quads. I would clean the CDI contacts with contact cleaner and lightly dress with permatex dielectric grease
I'll give that a try, thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So now the burning question...when looking at the service manual to verify the testing procedure, it has a procedure for a Fourtrax, a Foreman, and after 87. My bike says both Fourtrax and Foreman, yet the ID plate says 1988 TRX350D. So which is which?
87 was called a fourtrax foreman, the cdi will not interchange with any other according to honda specs, better check wires carefully, old wires tend to break easily. will run and quit when hot.

·
Registered
2 Posts
may it is because itts hapend to me befor but never a gen

1 - 10 of 10 Posts