Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 400ex will not start I've tested all the switches and connections I have voltage going through the solenoid to the starter when I push the button and nothing happens. I know the starter is good I can hook a battery to it and it spins. I also noticed that the frame has voltage on it when I disconnected the regulator it goes away but I'm not convinced that is the problem. I took apart the wiring harness and cannot find anything out of the ordinary. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Have you bridged the terminals on the solenoid to eliminate the possibility of solenoid failure?

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
So there’s power to the solenoid and the starter works if you wire it to a battery direct? Are all connections clean and corrosion free?
@SlammedRanger is the man for these sports quads. He’ll be along soon I’m sure.

Reactions: _Wilson_

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes they are but what's more confusing is why there voltage on the frame when the regulator is plugged in?

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
Yes they are but what's more confusing is why there voltage on the frame when the regulator is plugged in?
my guess is your atv is wired wrong from the battery !.

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Hmmm. I have had issues with the starter switches. Are you getting power to the switch?? And how many volts do you have going to the frame??

·
Registered
599 Posts
Open that connection where the negative battery cable connects to the frame. Shine it up real good and re-attach it. This should restore your frame to 0 volts, and may also cause your starter to work again.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Glad you got her back up and running !!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts