Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 2001 TRX350FM. It would not start with the electric starter - it would pull-start and run fine. The solenoid was clicking. I replaced the battery and got a new solenoid. After putting the battery in - I noticed I had no "neutral light" - the 25 amp fuse on the right side of the fuse-box had blown. I replaced that - had the neutral light and the oil-temp light back. The solenoid just clicked. I pulled the pull start once and it fired. I noticed the neutral light was out again. I checked and the 25 amp fuse had blown again. After replacing the solenoid, I put the battery back in and the 25 amp fuse blew again - immediately. It continue to blow. Obviously I have a short. Every time I put a fuse in, it blows. My question...where/what is the most logical place and how to check to narrow it down. I've been tracing back individual wires - I see no breaks or disconnects. The ignition is off and the key is out.

Premium Member
Best thing is to look at the wiring schematic in the manual. Troubleshoot that 25 amp circuit you have a short to ground there. Could be your battery cable rubbing on a frame member. Look for melted insulation on cables

My bet you have a melted insulation in your starter cable

Premium Member
I had that same fuse blowing on my 2002 450 , it was the solenoid that was blowing it , the way I found the problem was by taking the fuse out , putting the leads of the test meter into the fuse holder slots , set the meter to ohm's , if it has a short the needle will move , start disconnection things till the meter goes back to nothing , it will save you a lot of wasted fuses , but it sounds like in your case it doesn't blow till the starter button is pushed , I'd betit is the solenoid , is it a china solenoid

Premium Member
have a look at the ignition switch on the dash. currently rebuilding the same atv as yours, the ignition switch wires under the bottom of the switch was rubbed/burned in half on about 3 wires, soooo..check the ignition switch !. just pray your shift drum isn't bad ?..lol. these years are very prone to have the end break off that moves the neutral/reverse switch !. this is what i'm dealing with right now, got another shift drum in the case right now.

Reactions: Goober and olrobo
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.