Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Between housework and softball I haven't had much time to do squat lately on the pile of ATV's I have needing work, but I got up early and got a little done early Sat morning.

I picked up an 88 or 89 300 a few weeks ago. Haven't had a lot of time to mess with it yet, but got it cheap.

I already had a TRX250 rear end set aside for such a project, and also picked up a 250 Big Red rear end recently to have as a spare, so figured I would take the stock 300 rear end down, put bearings and seals in it, and sell it.

I guess I was due some good karma after finding some very unpleasant surprises on a couple of project bikes I bought. I pulled the rear end on this 300 and found what appears to be an almost new rear end.

Splines are all in perfect shape, and the diff itself was tight and looked like it might be been rebuilt. Fresh grease in the axle tube between the diff and brake. Hubs had sharp splines. I really thing this thing was just rebuilt with new parts and parked, or at the very least didn't see any water after it was rebuilt. Only downer was the brake drum was missing. The cover was there, backing plate was there with good shoes, but no drum. Guess whoever did the work figured rear brakes were more trouble than they were worth.

Anyhow, how do I tell if this shaft and hubs are early style vs later style? I know there is a difference, but not sure how to tell what I have. Any difference in value on early vs late? Diffs are the same all the way through, right?

Attachments

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
The only difference is the hubs were shorter on the older style, less spline contact with the hub if you know what I mean, I don't have a measurement on the difference but it's worth upgrading if you have the older style axle IMO. Even a pic of the two side by side would probably help you figure it out.

·
Premium Member
6,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm going with the BR 250 rear end or the TRX250 rear end. Haven't decided which yet.

Will sell this stock 300 stuff. Just want to know what I have before I try to sell it.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Only difference in the rear diffs is the left side seal on the 3rd gens. It had a lip on it and was partnered with a stainless washer to help seal that side.

·
Premium Member
12,647 Posts
I think the axle and the hubs were different from 88-92 , they were short splined , when they went to the longer splined hub , the axle also had longer splines on it to accommodate the longer splined hub , I know if you use them as a set you can swop back and forth ----- you can see the difference between the two hubs if you have seen both before , post a pic of the hub

·
Premium Member
6,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Will do.

Fish I know you do a lot of 300's. What's a fair price to ask for an axle with hubs and a rear diff in good shape? I've heard everything from $150-400. Ebay prices are usually too high for me to consider them realistic.

I'm not trying to gouge someone, but don't want to give the stuff away either.

Going to use the $$$ to buy parts towards getting this 300 running again.

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
When you got your TRX250 rear end take into consideration the placement of your new shock mount. I gave my shock a more shallow angle to soften the ride a little. I was doubtful that it would work as I only moved the bolt centre line 1" but it did do the trick and I think it's just enough. I also added my lift into the mount, its permanent but I'm happy with that.

·
Premium Member
6,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Sam. I will definitely do that.

Same principle as the Perfex lift I have on my Foremans. Moved the rear shock lower mount forward to where it was more straight up and down. Gave a bit of lift and made the Foreman ride SO much better.

·
Premium Member
12,647 Posts
Will do.

Fish I know you do a lot of 300's. What's a fair price to ask for an axle with hubs and a rear diff in good shape? I've heard everything from $150-400. Ebay prices are usually too high for me to consider them realistic.

I'm not trying to gouge someone, but don't want to give the stuff away either.

Going to use the $$$ to buy parts towards getting this 300 running again.
Jeep' , ever hear the saying it will go for what ever you can get for it = supply , demand and timing , I think if it is really fresh and with new bearings , seals and brakes , then it could fetch $500 to some one who "needs" it and knows what they are looking at , I think a good used one in running condition , ready to drop in would be worth $300-350 , one that needs brakes , seals and bearings but has a good axle , hubs , ring and pinion , all there just needs rebuilding could get $100 -150 , and I'd guess it all depends in what part the country you are in , around here they are getting harder to find

·
Registered
7,361 Posts
local I would say you will fetch around $350 for the differential and axle. ebay would bring $500 but you have to pay shipping bring it to around the same price if you sold local without fees.

·
Premium Member
6,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll take some pics and post it up on a local FB page. Don't really want to deal with shipping it if I don't have to......Thanks for the input.

After the 420 with bad crank, busted drain plug, cracked cylinder, bad rear axle I think I was due a bike with some good parts on it!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts