Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 420 can I get extra keys made at any place that makes keys , Napa - Walmart Etc.
Or is it a special key that only Honda can duplicate ?

·
Premium Member
2,608 Posts
Take your current key to Honda and buy the blank - maybe $9.00.

Then any regular locksmith can either copy that old key on a machine or copy it by the lock number on the key or lock.

This second method is somewhat more computerized and in my mind, gives you a more accurately cut key. Not every lock smith has this capability though.

Rick

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
My local dealership, which is crap, told me the booted keys weren't available, and tried to sell me a flat generic key.

Paulie at Honda East sold me some booted blanks, and I had them cut by a local locksmith. Blanks from Paulie were about $6

If you look at your existing key, there's a letter and numbers on it (B40, for example).

You can use that to have keys made from somewhere like this guy.

Honda OEM ATV Rancher Foreman Key Cut to Your Key Code A & B Codes TRX XR CRF

or flat blanks cut to your code are cheaper and available here

1 Honda Motorcycle Key Code Cut to A00 to A50 ATV 4 Wheelers Lock Keys

Your local key place may or made not have the ILCO blanks. Nobody around here did.

·
Super Moderator
36,413 Posts
I've done the blank key , set up with clamping them together with vise-grips, then using my dremel with a cut-off wheel to cut the grooves, works pretty good.

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
I have a 2010 420 can I get extra keys made at any place that makes keys , Napa - Walmart Etc.
Or is it a special key that only Honda can duplicate ?
That special key is only available to dealers and locksmith only, so before you make any decision please ensure that you choose the right option for your need.

Incorrect, and guessing you purposely put a link to a locksmith in there, which is probably your business.

You can get a Honda ATV key cut anywhere as long as they have the proper key blank.

Your post should be reported as spam. I don't see a place to do it though. @retro?

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
didnt notice this post till i looked at dates an replied. hope my post didnt make it.
also; it sound's like a sales pitch!!!
can this name get deleted?

·
Premium Member
12,342 Posts
I get my keys made at the local lock smith , they are like $6 a piece , they don't look exactly like a Honda blank , but so what ---- the locksmith by me , if you want , can make every key on your key chain , except the Post Office key , and have the cut of the key on file with a name for each key , stored under your name or secret alias name , if you lose one or any , you can call and he will make that key you want without him even having the key , for the same price as a key if he had a key in his hand to copy

he is pretty good , I needed a key for my 72 Honda XL250 when I got it with no key , I took the ignition to him and in less than 5 minutes he had 2 keys in my hand ---he dapped the blank in the Indian Ink or what ever they use , stuck it in the ignition , pulled it out and filed it, repeated the procedure maybe 3 times , buffed it on the wheel and it is as smooth OEM would be

1 - 10 of 10 Posts