Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So super atv now comes with drilled rotors but which way do they go? On automotive you see the holes arching to the center of the vehicle but does anyone have experience with these rotors or has anyone ever spoken to super atv about the orientation?

·
Registered
324 Posts
If they don't specify in the instructions, it probably doesn't matter. I don't remember reading anything about orientation when I installed mine, and I wasn't worried about it. Drilling/slotting is for cooling, and my rotors are never going to get so hot that they need excessive cooling.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I always thought the holes were to help shed moisture and dirt considering the environments ATV's are used in.

I can't imagine the brakes getting that hot, especially if you are locking them up, or downshifting to slow down.

Although I suppose on larger heavier 4x4's, there is more of a need for cooling that on a lighter sport bike.

I would just follow how they are usually installed on cars since the application is fairly similar.

https://www.zeckhausen.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=6446_6515

·
Registered
559 Posts
Looking more, I don't think it matters.

For cars it's more about the internal cooling vanes rather than the direction of the holes.

I can't imagine your rotors have cooling vanes, so you should be good either way,

"It is not possible to tell if a drilled rotor is installed properly, simply by observing the drill pattern. Different manufacturers use different patterns with spiral "arms" that appear to lean in either direction, regardless of the internal cooling fin orientation. For example, StopTech AeroRotors, used on their big brake kits, have a drill pattern that appears to lean to the front of the car. Porsche OEM rotors have a drill pattern that appears to lean to the back of the car. In both cases, the internal cooling fins are properly oriented, leaning backwards. But the drill pattern is opposite. This is why Porsche mechanics often install StopTech big brake kit rotors backwards, despite the big "L" and "R" stickers on the rotors! They're relying on the drill pattern, rather than the direction of the internal cooling vanes."

1 - 4 of 4 Posts