Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New here to the forum. Love the honda ranchers! My wife passed away a year and a half ago,so I got back intobworking on atv's and motorcycles.i figure it's a lot cheaper than chasing women! I have an 01 rancher 350 fe that has me scratching my head,hope I can get some help here? I rebuilt the top end of the engine with a big bore 355 kit,and it runs amazing! I got to ride it once,and the elec shift went out.it will go into all gears manually,but qhen you press the shifter,up or down,nothing! The new shift motor isn't getting any power either.please help!!

·
Premium Member
5,258 Posts
Will the battery pass a load test?

adjust the clutch. That won’t help the power issue but could smooth the shifting

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The battery tested good.the one way bearing in the clutch is bad,I have one ordered,but qould that cause the shift motor to do nothing? I cleaned the old grease out of the reduction gears that the motor moves,put a new angle sensor,and shift motor in it. Really sucks! It runs AMAZING!!! can't shift it!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No codes,nothing flashes on the cluster at all.just suddenly won't shift anymore.the shift motor is new,as well as the angle sensor. All other functions work,the kill switch,the lights,and dimmer.rand dem

·
Registered
13 Posts
Check that your gear shift buttons are functional on the handlebars, any error codes?
No codes,nothing flashes on the cluster at all.just suddenly won't shift anymore.the shift motor is new,as well as the angle sensor. All other functions work,the kill switch,the lights,and dimmer.rand dem
The shifting problem I encountered on my 07 420 was the pinion gear teeth wear sheared off, but if you can shift it manually that’s probably not it. Easy check though~ You just take the cover off where the manual shifter is and the gears are there.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The shifting problem I encountered on my 07 420 was the pinion gear teeth wear sheared off, but if you can shift it manually that’s probably not it. Easy check though~ You just take the cover off where the manual shifter is and the gears are there.
Automotive tire Rim Bicycle part Gear Auto part

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It shifts manually,it's like the shift motor,or the up and down shift switch isn't getting power. It runs great! Ecm?

·
Registered
13 Posts
It shifts manually,it's like the shift motor,or the up and down shift switch isn't getting power. It runs great! Ecm?
If you have a volt/ohm meter and the wiring diagram you could follow the volts and test all the wiring for breaks and shorts. There is a post on here somewhere with shop manuals. I am not sure how to tell if the computer is fried.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've read that there isn't a way to test the ecm. I'm a pretty good mechanic on most things,but electrical,I know nothing about. I have a multimeter,but only know how to use it to test a battery.any help qould be greatly appreciated!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Okay crash course: you can use the ohm setting to test the continuity of the wire from end to end a good wire will read 0.0 or very low a broken wire will read O/L. As for voltage you can put a lead into a connection and the other to ground (frame) and read the voltage when you change the state of the switch etc. If you can there are many good YouTube videos on this subject. I hope this helps

·
Registered
67 Posts
Check the single wire on the back of the engine near the reverse lockout cable. If it is unplugged it could be the problem.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yes I have seen the paddle switch at the handle bars go bad a lot. Have a couple bad switches hanging off my bay at work. Got a buddy close to let you test yours by plugging there’s up to yours for testing?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts