Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Was just wondering if i was to do a heap of donuts on the gravel road or in sand, would this mess up my clutch (well.. auto clutch) or do anything to the four wheeler ?

Some people say if i do donuts on my recon i will end up having clutch problems (it will slip etc.) But others say nah, it doesnt even have a clutch its an auto clutch.

I dunno what to believe.

Help anyone ??

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Should not hurt it just wear your tires out if you do a LOT of dounuts!!

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
Consequenses??? Hmmmm lets see none if you don't get tossed off.....lol If people can ride through 6 feet of water I'm sure a donut won't do any harm.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Shouldn't hurt it, just don't keep doing them long enough to get the engine hot. Just so you know, the Recon has two clutches, a change clutch just like on a ATV with a manual clutch and a centrifugal clutch. The only difference in the change clutch on a sport ATV and the Recon is the clutch on sport ATVs is operated by a lever and cable and on a Recon, the clutch is operated by linkage attached to the foot shifter. The other clutch (centrifugal) lets the ATV idle in gear and keeps the ATV from stalling when taking off.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
i do donuts on mine sometimes not long though, theres a rock where i ride, its the "donut rock" because its really flat and smooth and about 15 ft across and mudholes on one side to get tires slick.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Getting dizzy more so than anything else. And roosting the $hit outta your buddies.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Shouldn't hurt it, just don't keep doing them long enough to get the engine hot.

i did this once. i was trying to waller out a mud pit in the yard :icon_ devil: spent about 20-30 mins in 1st and 2nd gear just slinging it around, i also had to much motor oil in. took off for a ride up the rode and every time i shifted it felt it slip (did not slip till i got it really hot) changed the oil and toped it off with the correct amount and the clutch still catches and pulls good.

now i say all this and im gonna get my rear end put back in and the clutch is going to go out. ha.

i got plenty of mud pits down the road, but something about getting hammered and not having to leave the yard is appealing.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I was having a blast doing some high speed drifting and donuts just last night on my boys little Ozark. Just finished plowing the drive, and about 20 others, and had to unwind, or wind up I guess you could say.
Great fun unless you high side,(I've done that a couple of times), or even better, my old 82 Honda ATC250r had a habit of getting too much traction doing donuts, and all of a sudden flip up onto the grab bar throwing you to the ground,(and I wonder why I hurt all the time now in my old age).

·
Registered
7,361 Posts
i guess the only downside is having your right side tires go bald. i guess thats when you start doing left hand doughnuts lol

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
when we had all the snow i found out thats a fun way to clear the snow and the rooster tails flying all over my moms car was kinda fun:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts