Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the battery is good but when i turn the key on my 1996 trx 300 there is nothing... no lights when i try to start it no click doesnt turn over nothing...

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
Start at the battery with a multi meter and start looking where you are losing juice

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Is the neutral light working? Make sure your connections at the battery and solenoid are clean and tight. I would take them off and wire brush them, sometimes they will look clean, but won't be. Next, trace the small red wire that runs from one post of the solenoid through the fuse to the keyswitch. I would use a test light and check for power going into the fuse and coming out of the fuse. If you have power there, follow the wire to the keyswitch and see if it has power where it plugs into the keyswitch. Most of the time, the problem will be the fuse, the connections at the fuse or bad connections at the battery or solenoid.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok i tryed it and i checked and i have power at the starter but not at the solenoid and i dont know where to check at the ignition... someone help...

so i just went with kickstarting it and i have spark... when i kick it the nutural light comes on then truns off... it doesnt start. i put gas into the spark plug hole and still nothing...

help me please...........

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
ok i tryed it and i checked and i have power at the starter but not at the solenoid and i dont know where to check at the ignition... someone help...
Until you get power to the neutral light, you won't get power to the solenoid, not to activate the solenoid anyway.

so i just went with kickstarting it and i have spark... when i kick it the nutural light comes on then truns off... it doesnt start. i put gas into the spark plug hole and still nothing...
Are you sure you have good compression and is your spark a good strong, bright blue spark? If you have a good spark and good compression, when you put gas into the sparkplug hole, it should start for a second or two.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes i get a blue spark and the compression is not as good as i would like... would i just need new rings?

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
would i just need new rings?
There's really know way of knowing without tearing into it to see. It could be piston, rings, cylinder walls, cam timing, or valve problems.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok... but where do i check for power on the ignition???and how do i know if the valves, rings, or walls are bad?

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
but where do i check for power on the ignition???
If you're getting spark, you are getting power to the ignition system or do you mean how to check for power at the keyswitch? If you're talking about the keyswitch, just unplug the wires at the keyswitch and use a 12V test light and check for power on the red wire at the harness side. If you have power there, plug the red wire back to the keyswitch and turn the keyswitch on and check for power on the black wire coming back out of the keyswitch. From there, the black wire runs straight to the neutral light.

how do i know if the valves, rings, or walls are bad?
You just have to look at them. Make sure the cylinder walls are smooth and free of scratches. Make sure the rings aren't broken or the piston busted. Look at the valves and make sure they aren't bent and make sure they're sealing good. Just look for any type of damage. Also, check cam timing.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Based on what you've said, you have a bad ground connection from the battery to the frame.
He said his neutral light comes on or flickers when he tries to kick start it, so that means he's getting power from the stator through the regulator/rectifier and through the keyswitch to the neutral light. Because the neutral light is lighting up, I don't think it is a ground problem. The power from the regulator/rectifier ties into the red power wire before the keyswitch. I would say the problem is at the battery, fuse, or solenoid where the red power wire begins. That's almost always were the problem is on that type of 4-wheeler.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the rings are good and the walls have a couple verry little scratches... i guess i need to check the valves... thanks man

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the fuzes are good and trying to bypass the solenoid with a screwdriver... it doesn't work nothing

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
the fuzes are good and trying to bypass the solenoid with a screwdriver... it doesn't work nothing
Try taking a set of jumper cables and hook one end to a good battery, preferably a known good battery. I would use one in an automobile that I knew was good. On the other end, hook the ground to the starter casing or the engine and touch the positive clamp to the post on the starter. If the starter doesn't turn, it's bad. If it turns, you have a problem from the positive battery cable to the solenoid or from the solenoid to the starter or the ground from the battery to the engine is bad, either connections or battery cable. Could also be a bad battery, make sure your battery is good.

I would get it running by using the kick starter before I worried about the electric start.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ok shoul i put pics of the walls and the valves?

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
1 - 20 of 84 Posts