Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to go on a forum for my car a lot, and one common mod that people liked to do was grounding kits, or upgrading the electrical grounding.
I upgraded the original ground wire on my 250ex a while ago with a larger gauge and it definitely seemed to make an improvement.
Today I added a larger gauge, shorter length ground wire to my 400ex.

I used a 2 gauge piece of wire about 18" long, crimped on some copper terminals and put some heat shrink tubing on it.
It looks like a store bought piece to me...
I attached one end to the ground on the battery, and then routed the wire around to the mount for the tool box. I sanded the paint down on the frame to make a good connection, and tightened everything down.

At start up, it fired much quicker (even with my weaker battery,) the neutral light was obviously much brighter, and it seemed to idle much smoother.

Total cost was about 8 bucks, and about an hour of time.
It's not a huge upgrade, but I feel getting more potential out of my battery was worth it.

Attachments

·
Registered
873 Posts
Good clean grounds are very essential components, and are often overlooked.
I have even seen starters not work because of corrossian between the starter and the motor itself, This is one of the reasons large truck and equipment starters have a direct ground to them.
It also directly affects the life of all electrical components.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
The shorter and bigger the wire, generally makes best connections. Keep them strait also, no loops. A coil adds alot of resistence.

·
Super Moderator
36,410 Posts
Good clean grounds are very essential components, and are often overlooked.
I have even seen starters not work because of corrossian between the starter and the motor itself, This is one of the reasons large truck and equipment starters have a direct ground to them.
It also directly affects the life of all electrical components.
true..this is why most trx300's have the battery ground right next to the starter..some even bolted to the starter with the mounting bolts..direct ground to the starter. then later years..they moved the ground to another motor bolt near by.

·
Registered
179 Posts
you know. i think thats brillant having the grounding wire in clear hosing. if all solid grounding wires were clear housing it would seem less confusing in the harness.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
5 Participants
Solx
Honda ATV Forum
We’re a forum community dedicated to Honda ATV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades and reliability for your Rancher, Foreman, Recon, FourTrax, Pioneer, and more!
Full Forum Listing