Honda ATV Forum banner
161 - 180 of 227 Posts
Discussion starter · #161 ·
@SamUK
Great to see ya back Sam! You're on the list for a gizmo! Its gonna be quite a while before I can build any more of them though... got a pretty deep workload this summer and I'm running way behind schedule. I'm gonna build one for fishfiles shortly, he's helping out with R&D, then may be a couple more months before I can get back at 'em. I'll get with ya when the time comes so we can talk about a mounting location for your bike. :)

My portals idea is based on chain drive too. I'm thinking about using chains and sprockets from snowmobiles. Some of them have floating slack self-adjusters that are pretty cool and useful looking. Sprockets can be mixed 'n matched easily to get desired GR ratios. I figure since they'll handle 100+ horsepower holeshots from 8500 rpm sled motors, they oughta hold up fine driving one wheel each, on an ATV. We'll see... :)

Discussion starter · #162 ·
@fishfiles
We can run that wiring out of the enclosure to suit your mounting choice, me thinks. There is a lot of space between the circuit board and the back & sides for wiring exits. I posted in your 450 thread...

got my gizmo 2.0 in the mail on Wednesday, haven't had a chance to play with it yet and will be out of town until Sunday. maybe this time i'll take a stab at making an "unboxing" video of it. putz with it some, check the mounting, then get an install date on the calendar!

Reactions: _Wilson_ and retro
Retro , those 3/8 bolts in the pic are going to have to be the mounting point , underneath the plate where the toggle switches there is a tube , it is going to take a piece of angle iron but on about a 45 degree angle and out the bottom with the wiring is going to be the spot --------I am going to try and fab something up using the sample box you sent

Discussion starter · #167 ·
I sorted through my stash and found a few pieces of extruded aluminum that will work there. We can go with 135 degrees angle, or a 45 degrees angle, or any angle close to those two figures. So the mount type is no problem... just need ya to measure between the inside of one 3/8" bolt to the outside of the other 3/8" bolt to get the bolt centers.

I can make a bracket and take pics with it on the back of a new box when its done, so you can see how it looks on there?

If we use a 45 degree angle bracket the wiring would come out through a hole in the bracket which should work pretty good... a 135 degree bracket would accomplish the same thing though... in either case we could add provisions for a wiring support loop there (usage optional), like I did on my Rancher mount.

Attachments

I screwed up , I was showing off the Gizmo box at our party this weekend , left it sitting on the dash , little while later I jumped on the bike and took off on a ride into the woods , realized what I did , went back and looked for it , think it went into the water , would think it has to be close to the house , thinking of taking the scoop net and dredging the first couple of holes

second part of my screw up , I went on the ride with Crock flip flops , I had a pair of socks and boots sitting by a chair ready to put on , so I get off the bike at a pit stop and was like Scooby Do slipping and sliding and caught my balance , my buddy said " that was close ", took one more step and hit the slop , right on my shoulder , it was hurting really bad Sun and Mon , a little better today , when I got back I threw them Crocks away as the bottoms were worn flat

Man...... That's rough ..... At least the gizmo is water proof .

just spitballing here, but what about a metal detector ??

Reactions: fishfiles and retro
Discussion starter · #170 ·
That was a junker empty gizmo box @_Wilson_, so no loss. The shoulder injury might be a concern though... hope its just a bruise that heals quickly and not anything more serious.

Don't worry about that box @fishfiles, we don't need it. I can send ya another one... get those bolt centers and I'll make a bracket then send it to ya along with another box then you can work the bugs out of it. That sound OK?

I screwed up , I was showing off the Gizmo box at our party this weekend , left it sitting on the dash , little while later I jumped on the bike and took off on a ride into the woods , realized what I did , went back and looked for it , think it went into the water , would think it has to be close to the house , thinking of taking the scoop net and dredging the first couple of holes

second part of my screw up , I went on the ride with Crock flip flops , I had a pair of socks and boots sitting by a chair ready to put on , so I get off the bike at a pit stop and was like Scooby Do slipping and sliding and caught my balance , my buddy said " that was close ", took one more step and hit the slop , right on my shoulder , it was hurting really bad Sun and Mon , a little better today , when I got back I threw them Crocks away as the bottoms were worn flat

LOL. Sounds like something I would do....on both parts.

Hope your shoulder feels better.

That was a junker empty gizmo box @_Wilson_, so no loss. The shoulder injury might be a concern though... hope its just a bruise that heals quickly and not anything more serious.

Don't worry about that box @fishfiles, we don't need it. I can send ya another one... get those bolt centers and I'll make a bracket then send it to ya along with another box then you can work the bugs out of it. That sound OK?

At this point I shouldn't need another box , we know where it can go ... shoulder is 90% better today , I was nervous for a while , thought it was going to be the rest of my life hurting

I screwed up , I was showing off the Gizmo box at our party this weekend , left it sitting on the dash , little while later I jumped on the bike and took off on a ride into the woods , realized what I did , went back and looked for it , think it went into the water.
second part of my screw up , I went on the ride with Crock flip flops , I had a pair of socks and boots sitting by a chair ready to put on , so I get off the bike at a pit stop and was like Scooby Do slipping and sliding and caught my balance , my buddy said " that was close ", took one more step and hit the slop , right on my shoulder , it was hurting
sometimes i land better, sometimes not. i been doing it for year's (decades),
ya aint trying to break my record, are ya. :devil
glad your felling better.
i got a bruise on my right thigh muscle bout 3" round, been sore for 2 days, the color's are just showing.. got no ideal how it happened. :grin
i bump into stuff a lot.

Reactions: retro and fishfiles
Unboxed my gizmo 2.0 yesterday. @retro puts a shipment together better than 90% of the online places I buy from. Combine that with the level of technicality with this project and becomes very clear that "DIY" does not mean the same thing to everyone, with retro's level of "DIY" being at the very top.

One thing I noticed, though unrelated to the gizmo, is if you ever need a type of cloth that you need tape to stick to, WOW, microfiber cloth and packing tape are a sticky combo. I could not get the tape off the microfiber cloth that was used for padding. Had to cut it all off. End tangent.

These instructions are put together better than most TV instructions...

I still need to figure out the best way to attach this new bracket. Might be difficult to get at tightening the screws that came with the original clamp. It sure fits within the fins nice though, and I like the placement. I have some really good yet thin double sided tape. It's the kind of stuff used to put emblems on vehicles. That would make it difficult to remove though. Hmmm...

Attachments

Discussion starter · #176 ·
I realized packing tape wrapped around the microfiber was a bad idea... but not until I had already done it. That was really dumb. Sorry about my screwup wheelsquad.

How did the shiny coatings hold up? Once I had the box sealed up I began to worry about the microfiber cloth reacting with the Wipe New coating... and I almost took the box all back apart to wrap those parts with something else. I'm still worried though. Did they survive being smothered in polyester?

I hope I didn't screw up making that new bracket but I might have? I probably should have made it like the 1st one was. If its not gonna be any better than the 1st, I'll build another one. I certainly need some more practice cause I'm still making mistakes.

I'd really like to hear any criticisms you might have...? I learn more from them and I learn faster. So sharpen up a pointy stick and git pokin' if ya got any?!?! :)

I realized packing tape wrapped around the microfiber was a bad idea... but not until I had already done it. That was really dumb. Sorry about my screwup wheelsquad.

How did the shiny coatings hold up? Once I had the box sealed up I began to worry about the microfiber cloth reacting with the Wipe New coating... and I almost took the box all back apart to wrap those parts with something else. I'm still worried though. Did they survive being smothered in polyester?

I hope I didn't screw up making that new bracket but I might have? I probably should have made it like the 1st one was. If its not gonna be any better than the 1st, I'll build another one. I certainly need some more practice cause I'm still making mistakes.

I'd really like to hear any criticisms you might have...? I learn more from them and I learn faster. So sharpen up a pointy stick and git pokin' if ya got any?!?! :)
lol..we would not learn anything if we never made mistakes bro !!.

Reactions: LedFTed
@SamUK
Great to see ya back Sam! You're on the list for a gizmo! Its gonna be quite a while before I can build any more of them though... got a pretty deep workload this summer and I'm running way behind schedule. I'm gonna build one for fishfiles shortly, he's helping out with R&D, then may be a couple more months before I can get back at 'em. I'll get with ya when the time comes so we can talk about a mounting location for your bike. :)

My portals idea is based on chain drive too. I'm thinking about using chains and sprockets from snowmobiles. Some of them have floating slack self-adjusters that are pretty cool and useful looking. Sprockets can be mixed 'n matched easily to get desired GR ratios. I figure since they'll handle 100+ horsepower holeshots from 8500 rpm sled motors, they oughta hold up fine driving one wheel each, on an ATV. We'll see... :)

I’m back but still in and out due to living in the middle of nowhere!! We’re currently waiting for a new broadband internet system to be finished off in our area, it’s a real PITA if I’m honest!

No rush for the cooling gizmo, I have the ‘pot’ in place at the moment which works well after a bit of tinkering.

Can’t say I’ve ever seen a drive set up on snowmobiles, we don’t have them here haha.. Assuming there as popular as ATV’s though in certain states in the USA. Look forward to hearing more in the near future :)

At this point I shouldn't need another box , we know where it can go ... shoulder is 90% better today , I was nervous for a while , thought it was going to be the rest of my life hurting
Can you find it with a metal detector? Electrical store here They rent them. “RetroGizmo takes asplashin and keeps on flashin.”

161 - 180 of 227 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.