Honda ATV Forum banner
221 - 227 of 227 Posts
you may be able to get that seal out with a slide hammer , drill two holes into the seal , screw in screws that will fit tight , weld a "L " shaped piece of metal to a nut that will screw onto the slide hammer threaded end , take a grinder with a thin blade and cut a notch in the end of the " L" , kind of like a claw hammer slot for removing nails , work from one side to the other on the screw heads
I have a feeling the hub will need to be replaced too... its bound to be grooved pretty deep from the seal lips wearing it. I don't think Honda greases any motor seals at the factory.
Thanks for the tips guys. Think I'm going to live with the oil drip this hunting season and tear into it this winter. Once I get something apart it tends to be apart for a while.

Hey @retro my headlight connector is back together finally too :nerd

Reactions: retro
Sometimes a leaking seal is a warning sign of another problem , like a bearing going out and a shaft wobbling , just saying , I always think of the worst case scenerio , does that make me a pessimist or realist , not trying to scare you into , "there is no better time to fix it than now "

Sometimes a leaking seal is a warning sign of another problem , like a bearing going out and a shaft wobbling , just saying , I always think of the worst case scenerio , does that make me a pessimist or realist , not trying to scare you into , "there is no better time to fix it than now "
Oh I hear you. And have experienced that sort of failure with a seal before, mostly with cars.

We'll see, might try to take some things apart myself next week. With all my available helpers going to be focusing on hunting soon, this kind of thing is likely to be put on the "winter list". And looking at the parts diagram I don't think there is anything that would be causing this seal to leak in particular. No bearing near it. And no other symptoms whatsoever.

Any experience in taking the swingarm off without taking the whole rear end and axle apart? Pretty sure my swingarm is going to have to come off to remove that alternator cover on this 400AT.

Reactions: retro
Discussion starter · #224 ·
Any experience in taking the swingarm off without taking the whole rear end and axle apart? Pretty sure my swingarm is going to have to come off to remove that alternator cover on this 400AT.
I sometimes take swingarms off in one piece. Its a slight bit more difficult to get the swingarm bearing bolts back in while the diff and axle is on it is all, but its manageable and saves a lot of time & work.

I block the swingarm up in three places so its stable and at the right height (a floor jack helps), take the driveshaft boot loose, unhook the brake cables, vent hoses and shock(s), take the two swingarm bolts off and slide it back.

When putting it back together I get the driveshaft started on the splines and shove the entire thing forward. Then I use the floor jack to help line up the swingarm so I can crank in the two bearing bolts, first the right side bolt then the left until they are hand tight. Then lift the swingarm up and down to make sure the bearings still look right and feel right on the bolts... torque them, tighten the boot clamps and start hooking up the rear brake cables, vent hoses and shock absorber(s).

Looking at my own swingarm pic , I just realized I have one black hub and one silver hub , never noticed that before this morning , the black hub came with the disc kit --- with my OCD self , that is going to bother me from now on

Since this is your gizmo thread , Wilson put me on a Gizmo , a Banjo pressure switch that just came in , plan on tying it into that splitter block on the swing arm and running a brake light , I had a flag pole holder on the rear rack and it has already been broken off by a tailgater , wishful thinking

221 - 227 of 227 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.