Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Howdy Honda friends,

My neighbor keeps his 2006 Honda Rancher 350 4x4 foot-shift (see attached picture) in a lean-to at the back of his property, which bumps up against the back of my property. I've wondered about it. Friday I offered to "give it some exercise." He is really nice, and he said "Sure! I'll leave the key in it."

So Friday night I went over and got it - it fired up immediately, runs great. I drove it straight to the gas station and filled the tank with premium, then took it home to my garage for a maintenance check. I checked the oil, it was dark, and a little low. I topped it off with GN4. Then I pulled the seat off, and it looked as though nothing under the seat has ever been touched. I had to pry off the metal clips that hold on the airbox lid - not a good sign. The air filter was a grunge ball, it had standing dirt on it! By far the worst air filter I've ever seen, and I'm betting it is the original. See picture below.

I looked on my shelf through my Honda parts, and believe it or not, I had a brand new in-the-bag filter for this exact model (I've serviced my friend's '04 Rancher 350 in the past). So I took 5 minutes and pulled the old filter, greased the intake tube, and put on the new filter (see picture below).

It somehow brings me tremendous satisfaction to "revive" (clean and do basic maintenance) old machines. I got up at 5:00am Saturday morning and took the Rancher 350 on a 2-hour ride out into the forest to check my trail camera. It's a solid little machine. After the ride I gave it a good detail clean, and took it back to my neighbor's shed. I showed him what I had done to it. He grinned from ear-to-ear and said "I'll hide the key right here, you can take it out any time you like." Score.

Later in the day I stopped at the local Honda dealer and bought the filter, o-rings, and oil to change the oil before my next ride on the 350 - probably in 2 weeks. I'm guessing the oil may be original too?

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are the photos I mentioned above.

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
looks like it hasn't cleaned in a while.How many miles does it have and did use any oil on the filter looks dry.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Doesn't look like it, but honda filters come pre oiled, creed, that's a great score! you got there! Wish i had neighbors like that.

Reactions: creed82

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
creed,

I forgot to mention, you and/or the neighbor may want to change the differential oils next maintenance evaluation as well given the units age...

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
That's a cool agreement you guys have. Filter is dirty, but at least it was intact! Most quads I buy have the filter disintegrating from age and/or neglect, or mice chewing them. I'm surprised they don't get sucked into the intake.

Rob

·
Registered
116 Posts
A few years back, I noticed my buddy didn't change the oil on his machines, I took it upon myself to change it and since then I've been doing it. He's got a young family and just can't do it. I enjoy keeping his machines going and making them last so we can ride together.

Creed, you having a newer Rancher model, how does it compare to the older Rancher model? I know there's been discussion on this, but just wondering how different or not, you think they are?

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Creed,
Here's the filter that was in the 2nd Rancher I bought, I'm sure it was the original. And the battery, I couldn't believe the amount of crap that was around the battery and in the battery box.
Holy cow! That is crazy filthy!! Looks like it had moss growing on it. Haha!

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
looks like it hasn't cleaned in a while.How many miles does it have and did use any oil on the filter looks dry.
It's the FM, so no odometer. The filter was oil, pre-oiled from Honda, in the bag.

Reactions: _Wilson_

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
creed,

I forgot to mention, you and/or the neighbor may want to change the differential oils next maintenance evaluation as well given the units age...
Yes, good idea.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Doesn't look like it, but honda filters come pre oiled, creed, that's a great score! you got there! Wish i had neighbors like that.
Believe it or not, I have another neighbor on the other side with an old neglected Rancher 350 ES. He just offered last night for me to ride it whenever, and his needs maintenance even worse!! I'm taking on too many projects. But I can't help myself.

Reactions: _Wilson_

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A few years back, I noticed my buddy didn't change the oil on his machines, I took it upon myself to change it and since then I've been doing it. He's got a young family and just can't do it. I enjoy keeping his machines going and making them last so we can ride together.

Creed, you having a newer Rancher model, how does it compare to the older Rancher model? I know there's been discussion on this, but just wondering how different or not, you think they are?
I can tell you. I have spent a lot of time now on the older 350 Ranchers, and obviously 340+ hours on my 2016. Here's the honest truth, from my perspective:
- Both are fun, awesome, dependable machines that get me where I want to go, and back, every time.
- I would happily and proudly own either one.
- The 2016 has a MUCH thicker and more comfortable seat. The 350 seat leaves something to be desired.
- The 2016 can be shifted in and out of 4wd, which I'm a big fan of. I prefer to ride 90% of the time in 2wd. The 350 Ranchers that I ride don't offer that option.
- The 2016 is a hot rod compared to the 350, MUCH more power and higher trail cruising speeds.
- The Rancher 350 has a friendlier crawling 1st gear.
- The 2016 has MUCH better suspension. The Rancher 350 feels like it has no suspension, very rough and bouncy. I'm not exaggerating, the 2016 has got to be 3X better in this regard.
- The 2016 has power steering, and the experience is completely different. Every Rancher 350 I've ever ridden felt like the bars were fighting me - because they are!
- The Rancher 350 in stock form is a tad quieter, I think than the 420 Ranchers.
- The 2016 has roomier footwells, and can more easily haul passengers (I know...I know, not meant for passengers, but we all do it).

Those are a few observations based many hours with both machines.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts

I can tell you. I have spent a lot of time now on the older 350 Ranchers, and obviously 340+ hours on my 2016. Here's the honest truth, from my perspective:
- Both are fun, awesome, dependable machines that get me where I want to go, and back, every time.
- The 2016 has a MUCH thicker and more comfortable seat. The 350 seat leaves something to be desired.
- The 2016 can be shifted in and out of 4wd, which I'm a big fan of. I prefer to ride 90% of the time in 2wd. The 350 Ranchers that I ride don't offer that option.
- The 2016 is a hot rod compared to the 350, MUCH more power and higher trail cruising speeds.
- The 2016 has MUCH better suspension. The Rancher 350 feels like it has no suspension, very rough and bouncy. I'm not exaggerating, the 2016 has got to be 3X better in this regard.
- The 2016 has power steering, and the experience is completely different. Every Rancher 350 I've ever ridden felt like the bars were fighting me - because they are!
- The Rancher 350 in stock form is a tad quieter, I think than the 420 Ranchers.
- The 2016 has roomier footwells, and can more easily haul passengers (I know...I know, not meant for passengers, but we all do it).

Nice comparison between the models and agree, handle bars fighting you on the older models with full time 4wd and like you, glad there is an option on the newer models to switch between 2 and 4 wd. I agree the seat etc., are more plush and expect the 2016 to ride better, but have you looked to see if there may be some adjustment in the 350 (spring/shock tension) to soften the ride? I run mine in the softest position all summer and switch to firm during Fall for loads and can really notice the difference in overall ride quality....

·
Registered
116 Posts

Thanks for the comparison. I asked because I would like to get a new or late model Rancher sometime in the future. I do like my older models, but some of the differences and upgrades that you mentioned are worth it, like 2-4 wheel drive switch, power steering and better suspension.

What about size difference between the two machines, does your newer model feel that much bigger than the older model on the trails?

Nice comparison between the models and agree, handle bars fighting you on the older models with full time 4wd and like you, glad there is an option on the newer models to switch between 2 and 4 wd. I agree the seat etc., are more plush and expect the 2016 to ride better, but have you looked to see if there may be some adjustment in the 350 (spring/shock tension) to soften the ride? I run mine in the softest position all summer and switch to firm during Fall for loads and can really notice the difference in overall ride quality....
The 350 Ranchers didn’t come with adjustable shocks, at least my 2001’s didn’t. I find the 350 stock shocks to be soft.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Good question. You make me curious. I have looked, and all three of the Rancher 350 models that are within my scope of friends have non-adjustable shocks on them. No spring load or otherwise. Wish they did.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts