Honda ATV Forum banner

directions for a 300 gear reduction?

8K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  mud99 
#1 ·
I just got some 300ex gears to make a gear reduction for my '97 300 4x4 and the site that had how to do it is having problems,(highlifter) so does anyone here have any detailed directions on how to do it? I could figure it out myself but it would just be quicker if i had directions from someone whose done it already. For anyone who has no idea what I'm talking about a quick explanation is you get the clutch basket and primary gear off a 300ex (or 250x) cut the clutch basket off the gear off both (ex and 4x4) put the 4x4's basket on the ex's gear and cut one gear off the ex's primary gears and there's some welding, taping for bolts and removal of some aluminum in your engine. and before anyone asks why i would do this, it's because a lot of times i try to pull something with my 300 and it just bogs out and can't spin the tires at all or it will spin but it just murders the clutch and I want to keep my clutch for as long as possible. and it's useally in a place where you can't get a truck or tractor. thanks for any help.

#2 ·
I think there may be a guy or two that may be able to help you out just give them a day or two to respond . Dont get discouraged if you do get a reply right off..

Welcome to the forums.

#3 ·
Have no idea but welcome to forums.

#4 ·
thanks, I'm in no rush as it's my "daily driver" and i need to fix a 250x i bought recently to use daily before i take the 300 apart, and i still need to get a new side cover gasket as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.