Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Upgrading to 4WD and considering 2016 Rubicon and Rancher. Main difference seems to be diff lock.

What type of riding is improved with diff lock? Rock crawling I guess? What about snow and ice?? That would be more common for me. Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
10,717 Posts
DR: If you get into more rugged and difficult situations, the differential locker can be really nice. It is also very nice in slippery conditions; such as snow, sand, crossing a stream, etc.
I sure wish I had it on my atv (Rincon)!

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
A diff lock will allow you to get a LOT more power to the ground, and get you either thru stuff a NON diff loc ATV would not, or Just get you farther before it gets you stuck AOL its well worth having. If you ride off road,
and as for the difference between a rancher and a foeman, there is HP difference and different gearing, load carrying and towing, a lot of differences to be honest, yrs back ranchers were on smaller frames and as such were more nimble and a nicer ride for smaller riders or getting in smaller places, they were small and the less HP they make suited them better, NOW on a full sized frame, them benefits went out the window if you ask me?

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
The advantage is when your stuck and one of your front wheels is spinning while the other is firmly planted on the ground. What do you do? Well if you have a Rancher you winch out and accept the embarrassment of getting stuck and everyone laughs at you. If you have a Foreman you flick the diff lock on and drive out, everybody cheering at you, saying wow, what a machine.....

or something like that.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Diff lock is great, you never use it until you're pretty well stuck then it's like the ace in the hole, flick the switch and you're good. I plow snow all winter, loading and unloading into my truck (sits pretty high) and I always load in diff lock because I used to use 4wd and it'd spin a little and pull the front around weirdly, and I don't want to fall off my ramps.

Also if you get into a situation (happens all the time pushing snow) instead of sitting there spinning and rocking you just flick it into diff lock and let it crawl out on it's own.

·
Premium Member
6,504 Posts
A locker makes all the difference in the world. Not too long ago I put lockers front and rear in one of my Jeeps. Now when I get in the bad stuff all four wheels get equal power. Before with open differentials if my right rear wheel was in the air it would spin while the left rear wheel on the ground had no power.

The Honda front diff is an open diff, so if one wheel is on dry ground and the other is in a hole, the one in the hole will spin while the one on dry ground will not.

The locker locks the two axles together at the chunk, and you get equal power to both wheels. Makes a HUGE difference in traction. The drawback is with the locker engaged steering will be more difficult, but since you only use it in the BAD stuff, and it is selectable, there is NO reason to not want the locker up front.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Tbh on all hondas and I can do it on my f250 cause it has a limited slip you just squeeze the front brakes hard and give it gas and boom both front tires spin. That's what people with out different locks do. At least I do. It's helps out big time to have it but of you want to save $2000 and go with the rancher there always that trick but the difference lock make a big difference but there something you can live with out. But I would get the Rubicon because it's has a bigger motor and the rancher is the same size but with less cc's. I'm guessing your looking at the rancher and rubicon because of irs

·
Registered
1 Posts
The advantage is when your stuck and one of your front wheels is spinning while the other is firmly planted on the ground. What do you do? Well if you have a Rancher you winch out and accept the embarrassment of getting stuck and everyone laughs at you. If you have a Foreman you flick the diff lock on and drive out, everybody cheering at you, saying wow, what a machine.....

or something like that.
You know what I always say if two or three wheels spin so will 4 .......

·
Registered
279 Posts
Buy the Rubicon, the full sized Ranchers are underpowered and without diff-lock, lacking needed performance. You can save money buying the Rancher, just make sure you use some of that saved money on a good winch...you will be needing it.

·
Registered
2017 Rancher 420 DCT IRS EPS
88 Posts
Im pretty sure the with the new Rubicons you get a low range too, that the Ranchers don’t have. I’ve found a few times where I wish I would have had the low gear. If you can afford it I don’t think you'll regret stepping up to the Rubicon.

·
Registered
2020 520 rubicon foot shift
84 Posts
The auto rubicons have low range, the foot shifts don't.
Both are geared lower than the ranchers, the rancher will beat a rubicon in a drag race down a dirt road, the hp is about the same at mid-high rpm, the rubicon pulls harder down low tho.
I just bought a foot shift rubicon, I find it geared a little too low even with 27 inch tires but it pulls great.
The main reason I bought it over the rancher is the diff lock, the local trails are very rutted and you end up with one front tire in the air quite often, diff lock makes this situation a non issue.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts