Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, i drove my 2009 honda rancher into deep water, once i realized this i backed out but already got into snorkel, i rode for another 2 hours before transmission started slipping and not engaging, checked oil and had water in crankcase and pulled back, now after 30 quarts of oil flushing, tranny is still slipping. what todo?

·
Registered
224 Posts
damn man, that sucks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah it sucks, being the leader of thepack showing the way isnt always the best option, still under warranty if they will fix it. if not maybe my atv insurance will cover it. either way probably screwed!

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
i would keep putting fresh oil in it..and maybe some seafoam...after about 3 or 4 flushes of oil and this stuff..it should clear up..give it a try before you take it to your dealer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
after i dumped the oil the first time i used sea foam in the next oil change and then used motor flush in the next oil change and then changed oil 4 more times, started to work and now it will start moving and then jerk real bad in auto or esp mode . i think i may have damaged the dual clutches. not sure

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
after i dumped the oil the first time i used sea foam in the next oil change and then used motor flush in the next oil change and then changed oil 4 more times, started to work and now it will start moving and then jerk real bad in auto or esp mode . i think i may have damaged the dual clutches. not sure
could be..if this is the case..it will not be covered under warranty...i can tell you this right now..sooo..if you take it to the dealer..and try to get it fixed..and even if you don't say anything about sinking it..after they take it apart..they can tell you got water in it !..then they will hit you up for the labor they done..just for looking at it...soooooo.get your check book out !..lmao.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so what should i do what would u do, besides get a snorkel, thats next. lol im mechanicaly inclined is this a repair that i can handle or take it down and be honest. what do u think this will cost. my lifters are knocking like crazy also.

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
so what should i do what would u do, besides get a snorkel, thats next. lol im mechanicaly inclined is this a repair that i can handle or take it down and be honest. what do u think this will cost. my lifters are knocking like crazy also.
well..ummm..i can say this...next time you decide to cross deep water...try using a boat maybe ????..lmao..i can't stress this enough to all the ppl that want to use thier atv's for boats...wake up ppl..they are not made to float !..but..ya'll are gonna do it anyway..soo..now you got a big problem. as for the repairs..if your good with wrenches..and can understand a repair manual ( yu'll need one for your over haul )..and you buy the parts ( clutches and so forth..you probally can pull it off for about 100 or 200 bucks..all depends on how much damage you done..main thing right now is..is get all the water out..keep flushing it with oil and seafoam..then..pull the case off that has your clutches..and replace them..thats about all i can tell you. good luck.

·
Registered
165 Posts
be prepared for a full rebuild you ran it for a while with milky oil and water destroys every wear part in a motor and for next time stay out of water all it does is messes things up i learnt the hard way with my old 3 wheeler and now wont even take my quad through a puddle

·
Registered
535 Posts
Damn, this sucks. My question...what type of oil are you using to flush it out?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i flushed 5 times with 10w-30. It is pretty clean now, but tranny will not always engage and shifts really hard in both modes. im thinking the clutches arent getting good enough lubrication or i burnt them out. The motor is still strong. I guess i will take to dealer tommorrow and find out. Any better suggestion would be great Greene. Thanks

·
Registered
535 Posts
i flushed 5 times with 10w-30. It is pretty clean now, but tranny will not always engage and shifts really hard in both modes. im thinking the clutches arent getting good enough lubrication or i burnt them out. The motor is still strong. I guess i will take to dealer tommorrow and find out. Any better suggestion would be great Greene. Thanks

But are you using regular motor oil or motorcycle oil? Motorcycle oil is formulated for wet clutches...regular motor oil is not. The regular stuff will cause clutch slipping and once it gets into the fibers, it takes a little time to get out.

·
Registered
114 Posts
i would replace the clutches,oil filter and blow out any oil lines, oil cooler anything you can get too before you do a rebuild. my ranchers been under a few times it still runs good knock on wood. its just aggrevating when this happens

·
Registered
165 Posts
my 3 wheeler was a honda big red i sunk it good drained the oil flushed with diesel and repeat till clean. it started to burn oil on start up not the end of the world. i took a trip down the road for about 45 minutes and while coming back about 25 minutes from my house it locks up. tried prying it to turn it over but no dice. next day i decided to drain the oil and was pulling chunks of the rod out of the engine. the piston looked like all out hell. only had maybe 100 hours on it! and everything was really worn insode from when i last had it apart. STAY OUT OF THE WATER these thing arent built to do more than a foot it says right in the manual!!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
update on deep water

Atv is still in dealership, will be out this week, it turned out to be my clutches went out. Thank goodness for atv insurance covering my flood. If you dont have atv insurance you should look into it. my riding buddies did.

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
Atv is still in dealership, will be out this week, it turned out to be my clutches went out. Thank goodness for atv insurance covering my flood. If you dont have atv insurance you should look into it. my riding buddies did.
instead of paying for flood insurance..lmfaooo..stay the hell outta lakes !..buy a boat bro !..lmfao...sorry bro..it just amazes me..how ppl can think atv's are meant to be boats !.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Damn thats odd i have the rancher 400 with gps and ive drove into rivers and lakes and watch it float upside down for a bit must have flooded it out thousands of times just drain the box and start it up and go without problems still have original 04 spark plug

·
Registered
781 Posts
Sorry about ur luck. I did not LMFAO as I have been in some deep water by accident and am just thankful that nothing has gone wrong.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts