Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy Honda friends,

I hunt elk in the nearby national forest, and I keep game/trail cams out year-round. I check them regularly, and my street-legal 2016 Honda Rancher 4x4 DCT EPS is the best way to get out there. I ride straight from my house.

There is a wash that I have to cross in order to get to my cameras and hunting area, and it's normally dry. But this time of year it fills with snow melt. It was the deepest I've seen it, and decided to try crossing. I made it! I love this Rancher, it just comfortably gets me everywhere I want to go without any fuss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrn5u2GHGCo

creed82

Registered
Well done. I would mark the banks now so you have a good idea of the depth because I'm not sure you want to try it much deeper. Good luck scouting, looks fun

Registered
Way cool, Creed

Registered
any deeper than that and you MIGHT want to think about adding a snorkel to be on the safe side
also maybe raising your diff vents, old saying better safe than sorry?

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
any deeper than that and you MIGHT want to think about adding a snorkel to be on the safe side
also maybe raising your diff vents, old saying better safe than sorry?
Thanks! I hadn't thought of the diff vents. I need to follow them and see where they vent.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7

Registered
Perfect way to cross water. Some idiots run though it fast and then the water rises up under the front end up by the tank and factory snorkel and swamp it..

Registered
You drove like you knew where the thalwag was. Fortunately it was narrow because your exhaust was under at that point.

Registered
Again, to each his own, but this is another thing I love about the Honda's. On my 2009 can am, my belt would have been wet and I would have been pulling drain plugs. But as long as you are smart and take it slow, you can go pretty deep without needing a snorkel on the Honda's.
(Not bashing can am at all. Once I had snorkels, it was fine. Just don't want to snorkel anymore).

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
You drove like you knew where the thalwag was. Fortunately it was narrow because your exhaust was under at that point.
Yeah, I had an idea where the deepest point would be because I ride through this wash on a regular basis, only it's normally dry.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts