Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Recently purchased a 2008 Foreman 500FPM with what I think is a CYCLE COUNTRY snow plow. The wear skids are worn to the point that not much is left of them. Ive been searching the internet and found these on Ebay and was wondering if anyone knows if these are the correct parts that my plow needs. Kinda hard to see the worn part, but they are bolted through wear bar and plow blade.Thanks, Don
Cycle Country ATV Snow Plow Deluxe Heavy Duty Skid Set Pair | eBay
http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=65754&stc=1&d=1486494240
http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=65762&stc=1&d=1486494240
http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=65770&stc=1&d=1486494240

Attachments

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Never seen a skid that looked like that before. not on a plow this small. how can so much be worn off, usually don't they only wear 3/4" or so? and that hardly looks adjustable.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Call me captain obvious, but it looks like you need a new wear bar as well. If you set up the blade properly with a new wear bar and skids, no way your skids will wear down like the old ones did.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Not sure how handy you are but you can make your own wear bar for real cheap. Just get the right width or maybe even a little wider 3/16" steel and drill the holes in the right places.
My new plow hasn't even got skid shoes on it yet, still going back and forth on whether to put them on or not.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Making and installing a new wear bar is no problem. That is the easy part. I'm trying to figure out if there is a bolt on bracket with skid that i could just buy and install. Like the part on this Ebay link. the original was bolted on.
Cycle Country ATV Snow Plow Deluxe Heavy Duty Skid Set Pair | eBay
And if anyone can tell me the BRAND of this plow, that would help too. Thanks, Don

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
MY suggestion is this, go look at the OLD style Moose skids, there a basic saucer with a treaded attachment, you can them MAKE a bracket and weld on a nut and screw them onto your plow
if you have a welder this will be simple

I wear out in a Typical yr, a set of skids, about a 1/4 inch of steel thick
Moose makes two types of skids, for OLD style, basic and hardened one's
the harden one's last longer, but they all wear, as your dragging them across sthe ground with downforce of weight of plow on them
if skids are NOT dragging, your THEN dragging on wear bar, its either OR< here folks
how a plow works?
I set mine up so skids hold wear bar up about 1/4 inch or less, by end of winter I am on wear bar, and SKID< did its job?
Wear bars last me about 7-8 yrs, skids, almost every yr or at MAX every otheryear!
in BASIC snow winter, this winter and last have been the ODD< almost zero plowing here, with NO snow, again. as to normal any how

I have never seen skids like you have on an ATV plow set up
makes me almost think there HOME Made!

here are the moose I am talking about!
I can post pic's of how there on mine if you want too

you screw in or out to adjust height!

Moose Heavy-Duty Blade Skids Screw-In Old-Style 2563M M91-50020 | eBay

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know that I could make something work. I was looking to just buy the correct pieces and bolt them on. This plow will only be used once or twice a year at my cabin, and didnt want to spend much time on it, as I can use it like it is, and it would last me the rest for my life.

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
I don't think its a cycle country plow, I think its a lesser name brand plow, due to what I see in the pic's
and as such might be a LOT harder to find OEM parts
and that was why I offered my suggestion
I get we all can MAKE it work, if wanted
wasn;'t trying to make you mod anything
was just saying, its a simple mod, and would make life easier down the road for you too

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well, I guess it was just wishful thinking that I could just cut off the 2 old bolts and replace with new brackets and bolts. Looks like I will be taking out the torch and welder,and using your suggestion with the skids that you showed me. Thanks for everyone's help. Don

·
Premium Member
4,702 Posts
You are looking for the old U102 skid AKA CYC0770. If you find any I need two as well:)
Here is pic of my Cycle Country plow and you can see the dang skids have come loose and rolled around upside down. That's why these skids wear down like this because they SUCK haha. You cannot tighten them sufficiently to prevent them from rolling over

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts