Honda ATV Forum banner

61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Having ridden a renegade 1000, I'm confident that if it had a manual transmission it wouldn't take long to strip the gears out of it. To beef it up enough to hold the power it would be too large for the application. The sport ATV's manage it but they run very small tires and don't get in near the bind that larger utility machines do.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I think you,re all crazy. There is nothing like a foot shift, the complete range of gears, engine braking down hill, a quick shift going uphill or through a swamp. You can idle along in 4th or rev the heck out of 2nd, so much more control.I think that you guys never drove a standard car and don't know how.
This guy lol:icon_ laughup:!!

·
Super Moderator
1,720 Posts
lol i dont know, i do miss shifting thru the gears, but when im cruising i can just punch the throttle and gooooooooooo

·
Registered
145 Posts
Honda did make a CVT... the Hondamatic. I liked them in the Rubicon, and like them on my DN-01. Even though my DN-01 is rated in the mid-40 hp range, it will keep up with a factory HD 1200 Sportster, and it is super easy to ride... a great city bike.

I like the 3-speed auto in the Rincon, also, although I manually shift mine most of the time to keep the revs down. Nothing like cruising on a nice fire road at 25 mph in 3rd, just off-idle. Smooth and quiet. The auto has enough give from the torque converter that I've never had a problem getting it up and over obstacles.

Belt-drive CVTs aren't bad designs, but too often the way they're implemented on ATVs leaves a lot to be desired. I'm pretty sure that Honda will introduce a CVT in their utility ATV line eventually, but it's going to be a lot nicer than the competition in terms of engineering and features. I'd personally love to have the next-Gen Rincon have the Hondamatic behind an inline twin.

61 - 66 of 66 Posts