Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does everybody think---will Honda ever build an ATV with a CVT transmission? Just about every review that I've read concerning honda's quads say the same things. They all love Honda's reliability, build quality, and reputation. But, they say that Honda has went "a different way" versus the other manufacturers with their atv's because of remaining stubborn with the gear tranny versus a CVT transmission. Most reviewers want the CVT for sport and recreational riding. Will Honda ever build one?

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
they arent as reliable as gear driven drives but yamaha has a very reliable belt driven system. i actually would rather have belt drive over mashing gears just because its so much smoother. but i doubt honda goes to it anytime soon....although it makes sense to do so. it would be lots more reliable then the hondamatic and rincons' tranny's. i had bad luck with a rincon. $1500 fix to replace 8 o rings. no thanks! i'll keep my gear driven tranny's

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
I like the simplicity of a cvt, but Id rather have gear on gear tranny over the two.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Gear !!No wet belts no burnt belts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I would much rather have a cvt belt then gears especially for automatic. The cvt belts are easy to seal from water. I doubt Honda will ever make one. Honda is so far beyond in the utility quad world its not even funny.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think Honda is really into the sport utility quad market to be honest. Most of their utility quads are more oriented towards work versus recreational riding. You're probably right..I don't think they'll ever come out with a CVT quad.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
I agree cvts are easy to seal, as long as the housing is vented properly, you can seal up the two covers and itll be dry, dont know about burnin them up, never had a cvt.

·
Registered
356 Posts
after owning all different atvs, the yamaha ultramatic is superior to all. it can be setup easily for running bigger tires or whatever. you here of very few clutch or belt failures. a new belt only cost 150.00, what does it cost for your gear driven trannies. the 700 grizzly is truely one of the best for anything you want to do.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
after owning all different atvs, the yamaha ultramatic is superior to all. it can be setup easily for running bigger tires or whatever. you here of very few clutch or belt failures. a new belt only cost 150.00, what does it cost for your gear driven trannies. the 700 grizzly is truely one of the best for anything you want to do.
I agree with ya the yamaha is the best cvt. Ive only rode one cvt'd machine, a popo 400 or something, it was ok, but if I bought a cvt tranny, it would be a Grizzly 450 or bigger.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Honda already uses CVT transmissions in cars and on scooters. I think fading market share will eventually lead to Honda using CVT transmissions in their utility ATVs.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Honda already uses CVT transmissions in cars and on scooters. I think fading market share will eventually lead to Honda using CVT transmissions in their utility ATVs.
You could be right !!

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
The old Honda Odysseys and Pilots used a belt drive CVT, too.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Yep, I've owned 3 Yamahas with the Ultramatic belt drive CVT transmission and I've never had a single problem. I never even had a need to remove the belt covers for any reason. You don't have to adjust them like you do on some models, they're practically maintenance free. And if you do have to replace the belt for some reason, it only takes 15-20 minutes. When it comes to autos, I prefer belt drive. That is, if they have a good belt system like Yamaha does.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
When it comes to autos, I prefer belt drive. That is, if they have a good belt system like Yamaha does.
Do you prefer a yamaha belt system or a Honda foot shift manual for overall reliability?

Mark
That's a tough question. I think either one is pretty reliable, so to me, it would come down to whether I wanted an auto or a foot shift.

That's why I have a Honda and a Yamaha. When I bought the Yamaha, I was looking for an auto, so I bought the Yamaha because of the Ultramatic transmission.

·
Registered
531 Posts
What part of the Yammy is unreliable ????!

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
What part of the Yammy is unreliable ????!
I don't know, I haven't had any problems with the ones I've owned, other than normal wear items like tires, bearings, and brakes wearing out.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
And with the popularity of the CVT transmissions, I've gotta believe the Honda is experiencing a fading market share. It would seem like they're losing the recreational/sport market with their stubbornness to change....

1 - 20 of 66 Posts