Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I can honestly say the one thing I have never really messed with is a cv axle. I have always replaced them when needed. both cv axles are original on my 99 fourtrax 300 and have never been apart to be regreased but have also never had a ripped boot. There is no clicking or popping so i have a few questions for experienced cv guys

-when I move the outer cv or inner cv joint it stays in the position I put it in, it does not return to center. It feels as it is dry inside. At this point is it worth taking the boots off and regreasing them

-if I need to replace both axles where is the best place to buy complete cv axles that will last and are not the over priced oem ones

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
If the CV's are old and the boots are getting dry rotted, or you think they might have been compromised....it doesn't hurt to pull them apart, clean them out, put fresh grease in them, and new boots and clamps on each axle. It will be far cheaper than replacing the whole axle.

As far as axles go, I've had good luck with the ones from CV Restoration (TheCVman) on eBay, although I don't care for the tripod style inboard CV joint. The ones I've bought have help up fine.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My only other concern is that the one knuckle bearing literally came apart inside the knuckle and it was driven around like this for awhile. I'm not sure if any damage could have been done to the external surface of the outer cv joint.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Just run them till they break. Not worth rebuilding them anymore.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My only other concern is that the one knuckle bearing literally came apart inside the knuckle and it was driven around like this for awhile. I'm not sure if any damage could have been done to the external surface of the outer cv joint.

Is there visible damage to the axle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just to the external surface of the outside cv joint housing it's not on the splines just the housing. It's where the housing mates to the back of the knuckle. It's not a smooth transition on the housing now, it has a little "u shape" in it now. If this makes sense

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
now I haven't fully taken these cv joints apart and cleaned them and I know you cant take the outer one apart. Here are some shots of the inner joint. The pics are of the outer race and cage. Now I don't have a lot of experience in rebuilding or repacking cv joints. I know how to repack it with grease but I'm not sure what acceptable wear is and if these are shot or in good condition. Any insight would be appreciated.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
If there is noticeable wear on the cage, or any cracks, they are probably toast yeah. They aren't completely broken, you'd probably get a bit more out of them if you needed to, while you were waiting for the replacements.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If there is noticeable wear on the cage, or any cracks, they are probably toast yeah. They aren't completely broken, you'd probably get a bit more out of them if you needed to, while you were waiting for the replacements.
There is no wear on the cage but there is some on the outer race as shown in the pics

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
After pages and pages of research I think I will either regrease these and put new boots on or buy oem axles. Literally for every one person who says they like cv man axles or American cv there are 6-8 guys who said they have either snapped the axle or the outer cv cage within the first 50 miles. Even if they bought the heavy duty chrome moly ones.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Regrease and run 'em. If they fail you're not risking anything and are back to buying new. But they could give you many seasons of use yet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.