Honda ATV Forum banner

Cv joint rebuild?

894 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  marlinman 
#1 ·
On my 1986 TRX350 I noticed a clicking or kinda low growling (like marbles in a bag) on low speed hard turns, so I suspect the CV joints. They are a little loose, remembering when I did the wheel bearings, but not sure how loose.

Just in case, are there rebuild kits (new ones) available for these bikes? Sources?

I read an old thread where it was suggested to repack them, but then the OP said he found a kit for them. That was in 2011 though, so wondering if they are still available?

Thanks

#2 ·
I don't know whether kits are available or not. If so, I haven't seen any of them yet. There is a small chance that CV joint parts could be interchanged with later years machines, but I don't know anything about that either.

I see on partzilla that the 86 axles have a different part number than 87 & up do for some reason... that is a disadvantage right there... I think if I were faced with this dilemma I would take the spiders out of those joints and go scrounging, try to find matches with other TRX axles. Otherwise, may have to buy used replacement axles.

#4 ·
Partzilla shows a different part number for the 86 hub than the 87. 88 & 89 are different hubs from 87, too. So Honda was changing the hub part numbers every year... while using the same differential in all years. That may explain the differing axle part numbers... I imagine they all use the same CV Spiders though. The 300FW (and others) might have those same spiders. Would have to take them apart to find out... but if so, that would make many of the TRX350 shafts repairable. Those with good spider sockets anyway...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.