Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
25 mph! gets my vote
but that all depends on what all your driving over, and hauling, 1 rider, TWO, a trailer, up hills down hills< tires and how big or small??
and so on
I say listen to your motor, you want it rev-ing but not too high on them rev's and run at a happy medium, this is where a tac would be nice on an atv!

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I would say where ever the motor and drive train is humming in its happy spot.. On most atvs its around 1/4 to 3/8s throttle.. If you have been around any power sports motors they all have a sweet spot where everything is in harmony..

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Guys. That's what I figured. I usually ride designated trails that have moderate hills. It's only me on it, and it has stock size tires.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Hi All,

What is a safe cruising speed for long-term engine life for a 2006 350cc Rancher?
On my 2016 Honda Rancher I've noticed I can hold the throttle in one position out on the open roads, at about 35 mph on the flats, that just feels like everything is humming happily. In that same position on the declines it speeds up to about 38, and on the inclines it slows to about 32, but I don't even have to change anything. I can just hold it there and enjoy the scenery.

I've noticed it doesn't sound/feel comfortable anymore at about 41+, even though for short stretches I don't mind pushing it all the way to the top (50mph). If I'm out for a long cruise, like the 84 mile ride I did recently, I just hold it at 35 and it's happy.

But my 420 is different in many ways than your 350. Based on a ride I did with a friend on his Rancher 350ES, I'm guessing you're at about 30mph.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.