Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,Hey,
Ive got a 350rancher es,the plug hole in the head has been cross threaded and i was looking for any advice ideas,on what to do,im guessing take the head off and helie coil it....?

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Hey,Hey,
Ive got a 350rancher es,the plug hole in the head has been cross threaded and i was looking for any advice ideas,on what to do,im guessing take the head off and helie coil it....?
Yeah, I would use a helicoil kit. Some people repair them without pulling the head, but it would be best to pull the head. If you don't, make sure you put grease on your tap, so it will catch the pieces of aluminum and when you get done, blow it out good with an air hose.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey,Hey,
Yeah, I would use a helicoil kit. Some people repair them without pulling the head, but it would be best to pull the head. If you don't, make sure you put grease on your tap, so it will catch the pieces of aluminum and when you get done, blow it out good with an air hose.

+1 on the helicoil and i would pull the head just in case

·
Registered
1,963 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
use some red loc tight. I have had problems with heli coils and aluminum. also put just a little never seze on the plug threads by the gasket

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have installed heli-coils without removing the head. As stated use a little grease on the flutes of the tap and clean frequently. You can also remove intake or exaust and use a vacume with the valve open in addition to the grease. Carefully blow out any residue with compressed air but you don't need 120psi!
There is always a little risk a piece of junk could get trapped, but it will generally be gone after the first combustion cycle. Depends on the size of the junk. Keep a spare plug handy just in case it fouls the plug.
I have actually done quite a few spark plug repairs this was including an old Nissan truck that now runs just fine.
Thread depth is more critical as you don't want the threads hanging into the cylinder. Loctite very sparingly if ya feel the need and wait till it's cured before you install the plug or none of the stuff will come out easy. Same with the antisieze. Good stuff sparingly. The torque for a plug, most any plug, is no more than 6 ft lbs, or what you might exert with your wrist directly over the plug. Turn it down to crush the gasket, back it off and re-tighten to spec.
Hope this helps. Arctic Putter

·
Super Moderator
18,228 Posts
Why not just use a thread chaser?? the older chrysler 2.2 were known for the plug holes getting boogered up I have used them in the past with success

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Why not just use a thread chaser?? the older chrysler 2.2 were known for the plug holes getting boogered up I have used them in the past with success
You might be able to if there's enough threads left to chase.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I would try a chaser first since you won't have much to lose. I was able to fix the threads on a 185s with a chaser kit I got at Sears.

Rob

1 - 10 of 10 Posts