Honda ATV Forum banner

Crank/No start Fuel injector spraying but sparkplug is dry

9K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  ktriebol 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, I have been lurking here for years now and the contributors here have helped me MANY times, so thank you!

My problem, as described in the title, is that the engine on my 2011 420 trx will not start. It cranks when I press the starter, but that's it. I know it is not getting fuel to the cylinder because the spark plug is dry immediately after trying to start it. Pulling the fuel injector out of the throttle body and hitting the starter, I can see that the injector is spraying gas. If I loosen the throttle body hose that attaches to the motor and hit the starter, I see gas spray out from the throttle body. I changed the filter inside the fuel pump and cleaned the fuel injector by spraying some Seafoam through it. I tried starting it again and got one little cough out of the engine, but the plug is still dry.

My only next move, I think, is to check and adjust the intake valve. Please advise if there is anything less invasive that I am missing.

Thank you again for being such an amazing resource and let me know if this is not the appropriate place for this post.

Alex

#4 ·
You're very welcome! Try spraying some carb cleaner or something that will ignite (ether if thats all you have) around the throttle body to check for cracks in the manifold or other air leaks. Be careful about catching it on fire though... do it outdoors with a fire extinguisher handy.

Try putting some fresh gas in the cylinder through the spark plug hole then reinstall the spark plug and see if it fires up on that.

#5 ·
Tried starting it with brake cleaner and wd40 by spraying into air intake, I will try again spraying around throttle body. For the gas in the cylinder, I tried that also, but not very much gas. To be precise I dipped the plug into the gasoline so that there was a drop hanging onto the plug, like filling the spark gap. That's like, a drop or two of gas. And it didn't start. How much gas should I put in the hole so it does not flood?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.