Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may sound like a stupid question, as I'm prone to ask sometimes. But...I drive a '96 Cherokee with the inline 4.0 non-interference engine and it doesn't like driving in the heat so much. Since I'm a car down right now I'm driving it a LOT more than I used to. After a lot of driving in this hot weather it starts slower, but still starts and runs ok.

So to help it out I've been raising the hood and putting 2 box fans right on top of the engine to help it cool. I hadn't thought about it but my Mom asked if cooling it down too quickly could be bad for the engine. And since I don't know I thought I'd ask here.

Any harm in using my method to cool an engine down much more quickly than normal?

·
Super Moderator
4,388 Posts
Nah one if them old iron block 4.0s you could submerge that engine in ice water after driving it on a 200 degree day and never have a concern. Now cast aluminum motors would be a different story. I had a 2000 dakota mud truck that the guy before me thought was a submarine and the heads were cracked between all the valves. Guy was getting it crazy hot and running it through creeks and rivers though so thats kinda to be expected.

·
Super Moderator
5,015 Posts
Heat naturally rises, I'd be inclined to mount the fans under the bonnet/hood with some kind of vent in the bonnet/hood and suck the air out rather than force the hot air down through the chassis.
Alternatively, save your money, fit spacers between the bonnet/hood hinges to create a gap between the wings and hood.

·
Premium Member
2,676 Posts
dont throw cold water on a hot engine.. could crack a block.. your thermostat, could be bad, radiator could be clogged somewhat.. when you take out the cap do you see white in the tube's?, mineral buildup.. i had a 2 core radiator once an switched it for a 3 core.. i also switched out a 5 blade fan for a 7 blade fan. the 7 had a better pitch also..
the 55 chevy truck, i could never get the engine temp up, past 140F. good in the summer, but cold in the winter. real cold.. so in the winter, i would light a coleman lantern, set it on the passenger floor board tilted over in the corner, so the windows would not get frosted, inside and out. 6 banger 230 cu.in..
life in the fast lane. :)

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
I have read break-in procedures on engine rebuilds call for putting a shop fan on the engine during the start up and run cycles ---- on a similar note , I have heard people theorize that running a hot engine into the water will shorten the life of the engine ----- it is what it is .....

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the good advice. That's what I thought...it's all good. I don't really think it's running unusually warm. I've been told these engines run hot naturally, I guess. It's done this before when I've run it a lot, it's just that I rarely run it this much so I'm seeing it more now.

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
I've been told these engines run hot naturally[

You've been told correct ^^(RUN a oem thermostat with a jiggle valve!!! )

1 - 7 of 7 Posts