Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I have a 2002 Honda Foreman 450 ES the cooling fans seems not to be kicking on just got it out been riding in the hot weather and engine is really hot notice the fan is not working check the fuses under the seat all are good any help would be appreciated ?
Thanks
Jeff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
36,410 Posts
welcome to the forums. easy test for ya !. rear of engine, is your oil temp sensor, one wire goes to it, with key off, unplug the wire from the sensor, turn the key on, now touch the wire you just unplugged to the engine/frame/ground ?, and see if the fan kicks on ?, if it does ?, then your oil temp sensor switch is bad. if the fan still does not kick on ?, then your fan control unit ( under front fender..rubber holder ) is bad ?.

·
Premium Member
2,608 Posts
Could still be a bad fan. Apply 12 volt power to it and see if it spins. Are the fan blades blocked with dirt?

Realize that the fan is triggered by oil temperature, not engine temperature in general. It takes my Foreman about 30 minutes of spirited driving here on a hot Louisiana day for the fan to kick in. But once that fan is running and blowing air through my oil cooler, my cylinder head temperature gauge drops 50 degrees F within five minutes.

Rick

·
Super Moderator
36,410 Posts
Could still be a bad fan. Apply 12 volt power to it and see if it spins. Are the fan blades blocked with dirt?

Realize that the fan is triggered by oil temperature, not engine temperature in general. It takes my Foreman about 30 minutes of spirited driving here on a hot Louisiana day for the fan to kick in. But once that fan is running and blowing air through my oil cooler, my cylinder head temperature gauge drops 50 degrees F within five minutes.

Rick
you are correct, could still be a bad fan ?, I should have told him to also check with power straight to the fan to see if it turns ?, thanks for the heads up !. :).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
shadetree
Honda ATV Forum
We’re a forum community dedicated to Honda ATV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades and reliability for your Rancher, Foreman, Recon, FourTrax, Pioneer, and more!
Full Forum Listing