Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Premium Member
38,589 Posts
not sure what your asking here ?. but from what I checked, and know of ?, that model is about as auto as your gonna get ?. there is no difference between semi-auto and full auto for that model. it is already auto..sorta ?..what I mean is, there is no clutch lever you pull in to change gears ? ( not from what I seen anyway ? ). you simply lift the foot lever up to change gears. there is no way to get around this on that model.

· Premium Member
38,589 Posts
I think he's asking if he can make it shift gears on its own, like a Rancher AT.

So the answer is no.

And dantheman probably just got red-flagged by the ATF. Expect a knock on your door!
LOL, took me a bit why he would get a knock on the door ?, then it dawned on me !!..going from semi-auto, too fully auto..lol. them feds hate fully auto's !..lol. as for the OP , your right...no way for it to shift on its own. my guess is, his son is too small to reach the shifter ?, if this is the case ?, he's too young to be on it period !..lol.

Reactions: Jeepwm69

· Premium Member
6,580 Posts
Dang straight.

My buddy in NE Arkansas has a 125 for his 5 year old kid (big 5 year old, but still a 5 year old), and the last time I was up there the kid was doing laps around the house on his wife's 420, doing about 25mph.

I asked him if he wasn't worried about the kid being on that bike going that fast, and didn't he get the 125 for the kid?

He said "No, he knows how to handle it"

About two weeks ago the kid got to close to a telephone pole and caught it with the right front wheel. Bent the wheel and ruined it, and the front end isn't true anymore and the power steering light is on all the time now. Luckily it threw the kid off the side, so he wasn't hurt other than a couple of bruises. VERY LUCKY.

He asked me to look and see what's wrong with it, and I told him if he can't see what's bent then I won't be able to either. Get a tape and start measuring.

Point being, KEEP YOUR KIDS OFF THE ATV UNTIL THEY ARE BIG ENOUGH TO HANDLE IT AND OLD ENOUGH TO UNDERSTAND THEY CAN GET KILLED ON ONE.

· Premium Member
38,589 Posts
Dang straight.

My buddy in NE Arkansas has a 125 for his 5 year old kid (big 5 year old, but still a 5 year old), and the last time I was up there the kid was doing laps around the house on his wife's 420, doing about 25mph.

I asked him if he wasn't worried about the kid being on that bike going that fast, and didn't he get the 125 for the kid?

He said "No, he knows how to handle it"

About two weeks ago the kid got to close to a telephone pole and caught it with the right front wheel. Bent the wheel and ruined it, and the front end isn't true anymore and the power steering light is on all the time now. Luckily it threw the kid off the side, so he wasn't hurt other than a couple of bruises. VERY LUCKY.

He asked me to look and see what's wrong with it, and I told him if he can't see what's bent then I won't be able to either. Get a tape and start measuring.

Point being, KEEP YOUR KIDS OFF THE ATV UNTIL THEY ARE BIG ENOUGH TO HANDLE IT AND OLD ENOUGH TO UNDERSTAND THEY CAN GET KILLED ON ONE.
I agree 100% bro !!!. you can't blame the kids ?..ITS THE PARRENTS THAT ALLOW THIS !!. nothing wrong with a kid on an atv ?..if they are old enough, big enough, AND TOTALLY UNDERSTAND HOW,WHAT,WHY, WHEN, WHERE, ALL OF THAT..TO OPERATE IT !.

· Registered
1,422 Posts
Picked up an old 86 fourtrax 200sx. Is there anyway to convert a semiauto to full auto for a kid?
Lots of unknowns here. How old is the kid? What size? This model already has an auto clutch, but what you want is auto shifting as well, correct? If so, sorry, not going to happen on a Honda. Closest you can get to it is start and keep him in 2nd gear, and then limit throttle position with a screw like you can do on a TRX90.

what he might be confused with is the TRX250EX's , I had a 2006 and it was capable of doing just what he was asking , you could ride it as a automatic and as the rider got more knowledgable with the bike you could switch it to clutch lever bike
Pretty sure the OP is referring to auto shifting. What you are referring to with the TRX250EX and later called the Sporttrax 250 was the sportclutch, where it was auto clutch just like the Recon and all other utility honda's, but you could also pull the clutch lever in so it would act like a sport atv manual clutch.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.